Anyone have ortlieb pannier bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Ortleib back roller classics owned for 5 years. Use daily for shopping, commuting on my hybrid commuter (just one, even fully loaded doesn't matter only riding with one) and tour with them around outer hebrides etc camping on road bike. Ditched husbands old none Ortleib ones he insisted are "fine" and he's got the same now. Really annoyed he just bought them, I could have had some new ones in lagoon to match my bike but he went and bought yellow too so a bit matchy matchy :rolleyes: Sustrans shop was cheapest at the time.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have some back roller cities, which I purchased after destroying plenty of cheap panniers. They have been pretty much perfect, although I am not a huge fan of the closure system. After a year I put a big rip in one when being ham fisted with a bike stand, I fessed up and asked about a repair, Ortlieb took the bags back and albeit after a month, gave me a replacement set for free. If I finally kill these then I won't hesitate to go back to Ortleib.

Baldy

Über Member
I also have the Back Roller Cities, the larger two are 25lts each and the small two are 12lts each, so 74lts in total. That's the equivalent of a very large rucksack. I rarely use all four together.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The one I linked I just realised that it is 25L put together.
Here is the 70L that I am interested
I have a pair of backrollers, the older model, got them second hand.
Bombproof and waterproof but heavy, far too big for the work commute, even if I add shopping.
I also have a pair of Ortliebs front panniers, much smaller and lighter, that I use on the back rack, for everyday.

lane

Veteran
I have the 25L pair. Both ok for me for a credit card tour or stick one on for an audax. HOWEVER the ones I have are the sport ones which were cheaper. They are great and same as the more expensive roller ones except for the closing mechanism which imo is not as good as the roller system. If I was buying again I would pay a bit more. The gravel ones shown look to have the same closing mechanism as mine.

However recommend Ortlieb best you can get in my opinion.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
@stoatsngroats I really like the look of the gravel one but 25L for the pair seems a bit low.
What do you want them for?

I have the front rollers (on the back) which are also 25L for the pair and get by with one of them for daily use. I can fit my waterproofs plus a basket of shopping in one and take both for larger shopping trips.

[edit]
for touring (which i'm yet to do)... I have a pair of BikeBins* (35L for the pair) plus the front rollers totalling 60L, plus the tops of the racks are free for additional luggage.

*Had I bought Ortleib before i got the bikebins, I'd have got Ortleib front and back. I do rate the bikebins but in the event of a crash, they'll smash.

Last edited:

flatflr

Guru
Currently on a little tour using a pair of back roller classics at the moment they appear really well made and the system fir securing them to the rack works well. Have them holding everything for a week except the tent (if i got a smaller tent I'm sure they could take it too).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have 3 sets of Ortleib panniers. I prefer the shiny, plasticy one to the fabric type bags.

Having said that I bought some panniers fron Biltema in Denmark about 3 years ago. Its a bit like Halfords. For all the world they are Ortleib bags labelled Biltema. But they are a quarter the prics, of Ortleib.

robgul

Legendary Member
I have 3 sets of Ortleib panniers. I prefer the shiny, plasticy one to the fabric type bags.

Having said that I bought some panniers fron Biltema in Denmark about 3 years ago. Its a bit like Halfords. For all the world they are Ortleib bags labelled Biltema. But they are a quarter the prics, of Ortleib.

Herr Rose in Germany also has lookaline Ortlieb bags . . . .

Rob

robjh

Legendary Member
I've had these back rollers for 3 years - I only use them for touring but have been very happy with them- easy to open and close, very waterproof and tough
20190826 Glasgow ride (5) Gretna.jpg

I have had an issue however with the little adjustable bracket near the bottom that holds the bag flat against the rack, in that one of them was constantly coming undone, and came off and got lost on a recent tour, but these are available as spares for a few £ and wouldn't put me off these bags.

Bodhbh

Guru
Does anyone know how to repair Ortleibs to waterproof small abrasion holes?

I used the glueless puncture patches as it was all I had at hand at the time and they've held for years. I came back from the offy with panniers full of beer bottles, didn't fix the pannier right and one fell off - bag full of broken glass and beer, but with a couple of holes. On the waterproofness of the bags, it will still full of beer when I got home, despite the holes.

Bodhbh

Guru
I just can't decide with which set to go with.
I won't be doing any touring this year.
The bags would be used for commutes, shopping and perhaps an all-day ride now and then.
Next year however I will be doing touring so they have to be spacious.
So the 70L classic seems the most suitable option, right?

I've got the 70L set and are well happy with them. All the excess capacity is welcome and handy if you're doing a bit of grocery shopping on tour. They have compression straps so you don't have to run them always at full size, and the outside webbing is useful for stuffing things you want easy access too, don't care if gets wet, or want to dry in good weather. They are also not that much heavier than the 40l panniers. I'd get the plus material tho, it's lighter, easier to fold and plenty strong enough.

oldleggs

Über Member
Top Bottom