anyone heard of partingtons cycles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

balzer69

....of Bolton, Manchester.

i bought a used bike, the frame of which is labelled as such. Its maybe about 20yrs old and apart from the decals the crank and handlebar are embossed 'benotto' could those be from a different bike?

google is not helpful - couple references to this shop as a race sponsor early 80's. any more info appreciated, thanks

jimboalee

Are you curious about the frame tubing?

Flick the top tube with your finger nail at its centre between head and seat lugs. If it sounds like a "tunk", its probably High Tensile steel. If it sounds like a "tink", it could be 531, Columbus Thron or better.

A

another_dave_b

One of those Google hits was Horwich Cycling Club, if you email the club, one of their senior members might be able to help you.
Thanks to sponsorship from Partingtons Cycles and Lusso Clothing in the early 80s to mid 90s, our riders were well supported, and the club attracted several top international riders. Top Time Trialist and former competition record holder Dave Smith, International road racers John Kavanagh and John Fiddies and former Peace Race rider Vinny Smith were frequently in action in the major races across Britain and Europe

robin aspden

....of Bolton, Manchester.

i bought a used bike, the frame of which is labelled as such. Its maybe about 20yrs old and apart from the decals the crank and handlebar are embossed 'benotto' could those be from a different bike?

google is not helpful - couple references to this shop as a race sponsor early 80's. any more info appreciated, thanks
im not a cyclist and only joined to give you some answers im 75yrs and on my 14th birthday my parents let me choose a new bike we went to partingtons cycles in bolton were i picked a dawes sports bike they were on great moor street in bolton derek partington took over the shop from his father and in later years derek partinton and i became friends but that is many years ago does the shop still exist ?i dont know . i hope this helps you .cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
im not a cyclist and only joined to give you some answers im 75yrs and on my 14th birthday my parents let me choose a new bike we went to partingtons cycles in bolton were i picked a dawes sports bike they were on great moor street in bolton derek partington took over the shop from his father and in later years derek partinton and i became friends but that is many years ago does the shop still exist ?i dont know . i hope this helps you .cheers

@robin aspden thanks for popping in , but why not keep posting about your past and if still cycling

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The shop is long gone but I remember it.

chrisold19

Hi. I'm a newbie to vintage bikes (though have previously had a Pashley Guv'nor), and I have just acquired a Partingtons road bike to be my first renovation project.

I'm equally intrigued to learn about Partingtons and the history of my bike.

Early identification using Velobase suggests I have the following components;

-531 Reynolds Holdsworth 21 inch frame
-Ambrosio 13 Volte Campione del Monde NOS handlebars
-Ambrosio Gran-Prix stem
-Shimano 600EX rear derailleur RD-6207 short cage 12 speed 1984 - 1986
-Shimano 600EX front derailleur FD-6207
-Tange Levin NJS Alloy Headset - 1" Threaded
-Shimano BL-A251 Exage Motion brake levers
-Ofmega Gran Premio crankset
-Campagnolo Crank bolt dust cap v1
-X-TAS crosser 700c wheels
-Zéfal carbon bottle cage

A mix of vintage and new parts.

If anyone has any further history, I'd love to hear it.

chrisold19

Top Bottom