Anyone heard of this "Turf" game?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will add that this looks *extremely unprofessional* compared to GC, Ingress/Pokemon Go, and it doesn't seem to provide any guidelines about where is an acceptable/safe place to put a zone, nor is there any description of zones to allow people to make judgements about how challenging they are to reach. One of my more memorable geocaching trips involved several miles of trekking across open, boggy moor to the site of a plane crash, but if I hadn't been prepared for such a journey I would have gotten into trouble.

More importantly, there doesn't seem to be any active moderation of zones.
It wouldn't surprise me if someone ends up getting massively out of their depth chasing a zone and ends up severely injured or worse.

And I just noticed that you can see player's locations in real time. :eek:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I will add that this looks *extremely unprofessional* compared to GC, Ingress/Pokemon Go, and it doesn't seem to provide any guidelines about where is an acceptable/safe place to put a zone, nor is there any description of zones to allow people to make judgements about how challenging they are to reach. One of my more memorable geocaching trips involved several miles of trekking across open, boggy moor to the site of a plane crash, but if I hadn't been prepared for such a journey I would have gotten into trouble.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone ends up getting massively out of their depth chasing a zone and ends up severely injured or worse.

Pretty bad that, especially when it encourages you to visit graveyards at midnight and a lot of the zones are off road

Pretty bad that, especially when it encourages you to visit graveyards at midnight and a lot of the zones are off road
I believe you can just activate the beacon when you arrive and turn it back off after you've captured a zone, but yeah, it's not ideal, in places where there's only one way in and out.

A far better way of doing it would be to allow the app to access your GPS to prove that you've captured a zone, with an "upload capture" button so that you can log it after you've left the area.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I’d not heard of it until I saw it on the BBC this morning. I found the story odd, it appears to be celebrating something that sounds to me symptomatic of a mental health issue.
As is the case when people go to extremes with anything. I had much the same thought a couple of years ago about the guy who was cycling 220 miles or so. Every day. For a full year. I mean, I enjoy a cycle as much as anyone else, but.....🙄

I've signed up despite my numerous misgivings because I'm a fat lad and anyone who wants to steal my shitey phone is welcome to it ;)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It looks like a cross between Geocaching, Capture the Flag, Ingress, Pokemon Go and the Veloviewer explorer tiles.
A good excuse to go out.
Thats about right. I have just been out and captured my first zone. It would be good if we could add our own zones in places of interest. There were no other people out and about to avoid. When you get to a zone, you need to stop for about a minute for it to register.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

I think its a new thing that they are developing as it goes along. You can send suggestions to them.

Exercise is encouraged.

Meeting other people? I can do without that at the best of times
You don't need to meet other people. And the beacon feature means that you can actively avoid them.
Whereas with geocaching you're inevitably grubbing around to find a box that other people have put their germy paws all over.

dodgy

I've had an account on it for a while, the platform is unreliable and sometimes just doesn't work at all. It hasn't really held my attention as it's just so basic, unlike Ingress for instance. Those of you on three mobile may find that you need to disable 4g at times to get the app to work.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
You don't need to meet other people. And the beacon feature means that you can actively avoid them.
Whereas with geocaching you're inevitably grubbing around to find a box that other people have put their germy paws all over.
I've watched the vid and quite like the concept. Can't see any cells (or whatever they're called) near me, but if i take my bike to work tomorrow i could bag some.

I suspect it's going to become like Strava where one guy in the neighbourhood hogs all the KOMs. I had a look at the woman in the article's account, she's out just now and the white dots are hers :eek:
1608499665986.png

For my part I reckon I can get about 20 zones easily, but more than that will probably end up in conflict with other people's borders.

Nebulous

Guru
Whatever floats her boat as the saying goes. Lots of us have gone through a mid-life crisis of sorts, though it sounds even more time-consuming than doing a ‘big’ audax.

Something doesn’t add up however. 1400 miles and 317 hours works out about 4.5 miles an hour, unless it involves a lot of time off the bike?

Top Bottom