Anyone heard of this "Turf" game?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

It takes about 30 seconds or so to takeover a point. Like I said I lost interest pretty quickly. Every so often the game resets and all points become uncaptured, they had to do that as the game is stagnant.

Whatever floats her boat as the saying goes. Lots of us have gone through a mid-life crisis of sorts, though it sounds even more time-consuming than doing a ‘big’ audax.

Something doesn’t add up however. 1400 miles and 317 hours works out about 4.5 miles an hour, unless it involves a lot of time off the bike?
A lot of it will be spent navigating, plus it takes ~45 seconds to capture a zone. So lots and lots of stopping and starting.

It takes about 30 seconds or so to takeover a point. Like I said I lost interest pretty quickly. Every so often the game resets and all points become uncaptured, they had to do that as the game is stagnant.
A lot of online games with "persistent" world servers have this issue where they periodically wipe the servers to make everyone start over.
As someone with a bit of interest in game design, it's always felt like a huge arrow that says "we don't know how to balance our game to make interesting long term play viable".

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Wait until someone takes one of your zones back. That's when the territorial instincts in the primal brain will kick in ;)
I suppose so, I used to enjoy a bit of competition with friends on Strava segments, before that leaderboard went premium only.

I'd be more enthusiastic about Turf if there more zones locally. As it stands, I'd make no progress in the game unless I rode into London. That's a round trip of 3 hours without allowing for zone capture time.

I suppose so, I used to enjoy a bit of competition with friends on Strava segments, before that leaderboard went premium only.

I'd be more enthusiastic about Turf if there more zones locally. As it stands, I'd make no progress in the game unless I rode into London. That's a round trip of 3 hours without allowing for zone capture time.
You can add 3 new ones every month, or more if you are a paid supporter.

Yes, I nominated a couple; am waiting to see if they're accepted.

That's not going to make much difference though. They needs to add millions of zones.
The more people play in your area, the more people will add new zones. Tell your outdoorsy chums about it :okay:

This thread is on the front page of google for "turf game" and "turfgame" :laugh:
The creators really need to up their SEO ;)

Just went out for a very bracing walk, nabbed 7 zones. The 8th has been built over so I need to report it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Had a go and got a few. I can't see me continuing however. It's all stop-start riding all over the place and I prefer just to keep going.

Some of the spots are in nice locations but others are round the back of housing estates. One's the entrance to a mosque near me - got that but also received some very odd looks.

You get points for getting 'zones' but also more points for going back to them. That would explain this lady's behaviour: she keeps going back to the ones she has day after day. They then get wiped once a month and you start all over again.

Last edited:
Had a go and got a few. I can't see me continuing however. It's all stop-start for riding all over the place and I prefer just to keep going.

Some of the spots are in nice locations but others are round the back of housing estates. One's the entrance to a mosque near me - got that but also received some very odd looks.

You get points for getting 'zones' but also more points for going back to them. That would explain this lady's behaviour: she keeps going back to the ones she has day after day.
I find the zoning to be more appropriate to walking than cycling, as most zones are large enough that you can keep walking across them, albeit at a slower pace. This makes turf more appealing to me, because in other geogames you need to either be in one area for a while, whether standing and playing a la Ingress/Pokemon Go, or rummaging around for ages.

The latter reason is why I stopped geocaching, the social anxiety of having others see me doing something so suspicious as searching bushes or fence posts got too much.

In Turf, you get more points per hour for holding those that are more heavily contested, too, but you get less capture points for taking one.

I honestly don't see the appeal in revisiting unless someone has taken over some of your zones or you were going that way anyway.
Activities like this are supposed to be memorable.

Most of my geocache finds were memorable or at least had an anecdote attached. Zone revisits are like re-finding the same geocache every day just to boost score, just.. why?

New round tomorrow. Bike and rider are both ready to smash it. 236th best player in Scotland.

As long as it's not icy tonight, I'll be out the door the moment the round starts.

It's gotten me out and about a few times and only caused people to look alarmed by my presence a couple of times, and taken me to some really lovely areas.
EsWAdtsXcAAE0Oz?format=jpg.jpg
EsWAfvFXAAAJihw?format=jpg.jpg

Slick

Guru
New round tomorrow. Bike and rider are both ready to smash it. 236th best player in Scotland.

As long as it's not icy tonight, I'll be out the door the moment the round starts.

It's gotten me out and about a few times and only caused people to look alarmed by my presence a couple of times, and taken me to some really lovely areas.
View attachment 572472 View attachment 572473
Looks lovely. Greenock? :laugh:

Top Bottom