Anyone heard of this "Turf" game?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I took my little lot back today and added another couple. Can't lie, did feel a bit awkward in the cemetery in darkness staring at my phone but nobody around to witness it so hey ho. I'm only playing at it, just picking up the very odd one on my commutes but I am trying to get a route planned where I can just go out purely to nab a few to increase my haul.

I took my little lot back today and added another couple. Can't lie, did feel a bit awkward in the cemetery in darkness staring at my phone but nobody around to witness it so hey ho. I'm only playing at it, just picking up the very odd one on my commutes but I am trying to get a route planned where I can just go out purely to nab a few to increase my haul.
You took another one of my zones :cursing::dry::cry:

Awkwardness is a fundamental part of geogames, though I feel uneasy about doing so in cemeteries, and had decided when drawing up my route to ignore that one.

Once I was geocaching down this dead-end lane wedged between the Tennents building and the Necropolis when plod showed up and demanded to know what I was doing rummaging around behind the black well cap opposite a building containing huge vats of potentially explosive grain and/or liquid.

https://goo.gl/maps/Up7ghfqzimNsoyf57

Thankfully I had just found the cache and was able to show it to them.

Slick

Guru
You took another one of my zones :cursing::dry::cry:

Awkwardness is a fundamental part of geogames, though I feel uneasy about doing so in cemeteries, and had decided when drawing up my route to ignore that one.

Once I was geocaching down this dead-end lane wedged between the Tennents building and the Necropolis when plod showed up and demanded to know what I was doing rummaging around behind the black well cap opposite a building containing huge vats of potentially explosive grain and/or liquid.

https://goo.gl/maps/Up7ghfqzimNsoyf57

Thankfully I had just found the cache and was able to show it to them.
Oh sorry, didn't notice what I was taking. ^_^

I did wonder if the cops would accept that as a reason for being in some strange places. There's one at the airport that is speaking to me but due to the building site that is now there, there is no access but as usual I did notice one option but it looks suspiciously like airport land but I'm sorely tempted to have a go at it. :okay:

There's one at the airport that is speaking to me but due to the building site that is now there, there is no access but as usual I did notice one option but it looks suspiciously like airport land but I'm sorely tempted to have a go at it. :okay:
I don't know the current state of the construction works, but looking at it on maps you'd be between the landing lights and the runway, so yes, airport land. Not strictly speaking airside because of the Black Cart, but definitely not worth getting shot over.

Source: I have several relatives who have worked security there, including one whose job it was to do perimeter sweeps.

Slick

Guru
I don't know the current state of the construction works, but looking at it on maps you'd be between the landing lights and the runway, so yes, airport land. Not strictly speaking airside because of the Black Cart, but definitely not worth getting shot over.

Source: I have several relatives who have worked security there, including one whose job it was to do perimeter sweeps.
There was a small path just outside airport land that took you down to the water but access to that has changed because the site is obviously fenced off. I think it will need to stay unclaimed as long as the works are ongoing which is going to be some time yet as they have only now started forming the bridge after dropping the prefabricated original.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Got back most of what I lost yesterday at lunchtime from someone coming into the area from further afield. There's a few harder-to-access ones I didn't bother with and a few further away.

I'm riding over to their area tomorrow with my son, or rather following him - having a coffee & cake whilst he goes up Holme Moss - and following him back. So I'll get a few zones near there.

@Edwardoka I found myself in South Leeds in a back area on an evening. Normally I'd be commuting through there, but on main roads. Witnessed a drug deal and decided that was enough for the day.

Got back most of what I lost yesterday at lunchtime from someone coming into the area from further afield. There's a few harder-to-access ones I didn't bother with and a few further away.

I'm riding over to their area tomorrow with my son, or rather following him - having a coffee & cake whilst he goes up Holme Moss - and following him back. So I'll get a few zones near there.

@Edwardoka I found myself in South Leeds in a back area on an evening. Normally I'd be commuting through there, but on main roads. Witnessed a drug deal and decided that was enough for the day.
Yep, the self-preservation instinct kicks in PDQ. I saw an obvious exchange the last time I was out on the bike as well.
Turned around and added a couple of miles to my route, rather than risk going through here when there were a couple of dodgy looking characters hanging about.

I saw one of them again later, sitting in a park, looking warily around him. (The park was only a few hundred metres away from where I'd turned around but I'd travelled the long way round). I think he was also playing a turf game but I don't think it was the same one I was :laugh:

Later on once it got dark I was going for a zone on a path to nowhere and happened across a group of wee scrotes hanging about in the dark between a small copse and a river, and when they saw my light they all ran like hell. If only they knew I was more scared of them :becool:

I see someone's been busy carving out a little green empire to the west of the map, near the sovereign territory of the glorious light-blue-grey republic of EdgarP :whistle:

1614498929607.png

I really need to work on this utility some more... but first I need to take back my sovereign territory from the encroachment of my rival. :cursing:

Slick

Guru
I did a run last night more or less just to see exactly where they are and some of them I won't be going back to. :eek:

I would have got a couple more as I had my eye on a couple of neutral zones but my phone ran out of power.

I think your sovereign territory is safe from me............for a while. :laugh:

Slick

Guru
What I really want to know is, why are so many zones in the middle of housing estates yet there isn't one on my much more scenic Sunday route over towards the Mearns then picking up the cycle path to Fenwick and an extended loop to Dunlop and home over the hills?

Does making suggestions really work?

Slick

Guru
I'm now watching some carpetbagger called EdwardP pillaging some territory but thankfully he's a bit South of me, which is good as I've already lost 2 zones this morning and I don't think I'll bother trying for them back. May look to increase my influence in Renfrew though. :okay:

What I really want to know is, why are so many zones in the middle of housing estates yet there isn't one on my much more scenic Sunday route over towards the Mearns then picking up the cycle path to Fenwick and an extended loop to Dunlop and home over the hills?

Does making suggestions really work?
It depends. The rules tend to be fairly specific about zones being accessible on foot first and foremost. There are none on roads. There are some rural zones, but generally where there is something to see. You can still make suggestions, but I think they're working through a big backlog so you will wait a while for feedback and/or your zones being added.

As annoying as it is to wander housing estates, the through-paths are generally accessible on foot to locals. It's us dafties putting in big rides that are ruining it for everyone else :whistle:
I'm now watching some carpetbagger called EdwardP pillaging some territory but thankfully he's a bit South of me, which is good as I've already lost 2 zones this morning and I don't think I'll bother trying for them back. May look to increase my influence in Renfrew though. :okay:
Aforementioned carpetbagger massively overextended himself today, and will now be off the bike for the next few days. I imagine most of my new territory will be lost before I can face the bike again. 40 miles is not a long bike ride but when it's constant suburban stop-start it really does a number on your stamina.

You should try to conquer all of Barrhead... apart from the dams, those are mine, even if I don't currently hold them.

That's one of the reasons why I attacked way out east; the person who took the dams is the same person who swept in behind me the other day in Pollok Park; they had a lot of territory out by Clarkston, which they are recapturing as we speak :cursing:

Slick

Guru
It depends. The rules tend to be fairly specific about zones being accessible on foot first and foremost. There are none on roads. There are some rural zones, but generally where there is something to see. You can still make suggestions, but I think they're working through a big backlog so you will wait a while for feedback and/or your zones being added.

As annoying as it is to wander housing estates, the through-paths are generally accessible on foot to locals. It's us dafties putting in big rides that are ruining it for everyone else :whistle:

Aforementioned carpetbagger massively overextended himself today, and will now be off the bike for the next few days. I imagine most of my new territory will be lost before I can face the bike again. 40 miles is not a long bike ride but when it's constant suburban stop-start it really does a number on your stamina.

You should try to conquer all of Barrhead... apart from the dams, those are mine, even if I don't currently hold them.

That's one of the reasons why I attacked way out east; the person who took the dams is the same person who swept in behind me the other day in Pollok Park; they had a lot of territory out by Clarkston, which they are recapturing as we speak :cursing:
Thanks for the tip but I'm afraid the Dams are fair game as that's mine and Mrs Slicks Sunday stroll loop so it's only a matter of time. :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well I've had two visitors to my area plus my local rival take over 60 of my zones today. I'll get a few back but there's only a week left before re-sent and it's getting warmer so it'll be a Turf break for me.

I prefer long rides on sunny days to dodgy back streets.

Top Bottom