Anyone here with up to date info on duty/tax VAT for goods imported to UK from EU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Sorry for the long intro but l am trying to find out if there will be any form of tax levied on for example bicycles or components thereof, bought from an EU country and imported to the UK. I confess that my question is a matter of self interest, since l live in France and occasionally sell bike bits on ebay which are often bought by people in the UK. I am wondering if it might not be worth it for all parties involved in the future ?

vickster

Legendary Member
There’s no VAT on second hand stuff if that’s what you sell?

vickster

Legendary Member
I appreciate that but now that the UK is outside the EU l was wondering if UK buyers would have to pay import duty on second hand items like vintage bikes or components ?
Can’t see why? But It’ll be on hmrc site presumably

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Sorry for the long intro but l am trying to find out if there will be any form of tax levied on for example bicycles or components thereof, bought from an EU country and imported to the UK. I confess that my question is a matter of self interest, since l live in France and occasionally sell bike bits on ebay which are often bought by people in the UK. I am wondering if it might not be worth it for all parties involved in the future ?
https://www.gov.uk/topic/business-tax/vat

gbb

Legendary Member
I mentioned I another post, my employers just got a hit of £134 customs charge on around £800 worth of spares from Spain.
We're going to investigate whether this will become a permanent feature or if there are exemptions etc that can be applied for.

Edited to add...
A quick look at a .Gov site, it seems its import VAT which can be claimed back by businesses in the normal way...just as we do when we buy goods from within the UK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I mentioned I another post, my employers just got a hit of £134 customs charge on around £800 worth of spares from Spain.
We're going to investigate whether this will become a permanent feature or if there are exemptions etc that can be applied for.

Edited to add...
A quick look at a .Gov site, it seems its import VAT which can be claimed back by businesses in the normal way...just as we do when we buy goods from within the UK.
Hurrah, someone at last who understands the difference between VAT (tax on new goods or services) and import and or customs & excise duty which can be levied on second hand goods. Just to be clear l have trawled through the .UK Gov. site and there is no reference to any form of import duty apart from VAT :cry:

gbb

Legendary Member
Hurrah, someone at last who understands the difference between VAT (tax on new goods or services) and import and or customs & excise duty which can be levied on second hand goods. Just to be clear l have trawled through the .UK Gov. site and there is no reference to any form of import duty apart from VAT :cry:
As is always / often the case, just a little research is all that's needed. You hear so much nowadays...'I dont understand, I'm confused ????'.
Virtually everything you ever needed to know is accessible via the internet....

vickster

Legendary Member

The term is called import duty VAT. The £135 exemption from the import duty no longer exists.

Under ROW trade rules the transaction is treat as taking place in the businesses place of residence when it is to a consumer(B2C) but in the customers place of residence when it is to another business (B2B). That is why exports from the UK are zero rated.

If you wish to sell to consumers in the UK it is best to do it via an online marketplace such as EBay as then the marketplace is responsible for accounting for the VAT on your behalf and you don’t need to register in the United Kingdom for VAT. The VAT thresholds doesn’t apply to import sales. If you sold outside of a marketplace then you can register for VAT and charge the customer UK VAT or let the goods get held in customs until the customer pays the fees (and VAT) to release the goods. The prior option is preferred as you don’t need to pay a fixed registration fee to HMRC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Interesting , it will take a bit of deciphering to find out if there is duty to be paid on goods which are not manufactured by the seller and that are second hand (as in bicycles bought from a third party and then resold) . However at least the guidance is relevant to importing from the EU to the UK . Mind you l recently had an argument with a French shipper about Ireland (not N.Ireland) still being in the EU . It took quite a bit of argument before they believed me , otherwise l would have had to make a customs declaration so that an import tax would be due from the purchaser. Talk about killing the spirit of free enterprise^_^

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Broadly speaking there will be duty due if the bits you are selling where made outside of the EU, the country of purchase is irrelevant.

The rules on VAT have also changed from 1st January which makes the seller responsible for any VAT due in the UK

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There’s no VAT on second hand stuff if that’s what you sell?
There is now, if it's coming to the UK from overseas, including the EU. Buying from abroad got a lot more expensive from 1 January.

The cheapest way to buy from abroad is to buy through an online marketplace (e.g. eBay or Amazon) or from a large overseas seller who has registered for UK VAT. Understandably, few are willing to do this! In these cases, the seller will not charge the local VAT/ sales tax and will charge UK VAT instead. You will also escape the big courier admin fee.

However, buy from J.Random Seller - or any item over £135 - and the item will be charged UK VAT at entry, along with an admin fee of about £10 and possibly duty too, if it was substantially of non-UK or EU origin. This turn a £5 spare part into a £16 spare part, just like that. Makes no difference if it's secondhand.

There used to be an exemption for goods under £15 but that has been removed too.

Top Bottom