Anyone into/have kids into... Warhammer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
We went into the Games Workshop at Merry Hill once, took about an hour to get out, it was like being kidnapped by a religious cult.

I'm sure the guy was making the rules up as he went along.

Mr Pig

montage said:
Faint whiff?

Ok, I'm being kind, but to be fair the guys I knew who were into that sort of thing were all intelligent people who went on to decent jobs. Just not a great laugh at parties.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, I know who I'd want to go to parties with here, and there's certainly a few I wouldn't... and luckily they tend to mark themselves out.

Anyway, I used to be well into this when I was a teenager. I played AD&D (when I had to), Call of Cthulhu (by far my favourite - especially the Victorian Cthulhu by Gaslight version, which we adapted into a pretty full on steampunk thing), Car Wars, Warhammer FRP and many other more obscure things , and I used to be a pretty good figure painter (good eyesight and a steady hand helps). I would probably quite enjoy it now, but I don't have the time.

I suppose I could have been out smoking, listening to gloomy music alone in my room, or skinning my knees on the icy rugby pitches but, call me crazy, I pefered having a social life that involved creativity and imagination. I'd say it's served me well. Most of the people I used to play with were intelligent and funny and were into these games because their minds were rather more restless and expansive than most.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Both of my sons are well into this warhammer lark and it costs me a fortune in missing paints /glues /swann morton blades and dirty airbrushes :biggrin:

IMHO they well over priced for what they are, but keeps them both entertained for hours on end, I get a laugh when they hold battle meetings here with their friends, listening to them rambling on about distance / damage inflicted / damage effect ...ect...ect :tongue:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Baggy said:
Played Dungeons and Dragons and Tunnels and Trolls in my early teens, using a character named Yog Orcslayer :smile:. It was great fun, and definitely makes you use your brain and imagination in a way computer gaming doesn't.

I played Tunnels and Trolls, and other than the friends I played with I didn't know anyone else ever did :sad:

Oh, and you are right, lady gamers were few and far between, I knew one out of perhaps 40 people who played it. Once I went to a [sad_geeky_mode] games convention in Reading [/sad_geeky_mode], it was fun, but definately not a place to pick up girls :sad:

ChrisKH

Guru
Mr Pig said:
Ahh, Warhammer. Who needs real life when you can find all the excitement you could ever need in one-inch high plastic figures and the faint whiff of BO.

On the nose that one. :sad: My two are into Warhammer. One's got Orc's and the other some sort of skeleton thing with ray guns. They're both into it quite recently and got some kits and codex's for Christmas. We went into the Games Workshop in Bluewater over the Christmas break and the only noticeable thing to me was the smell of unwashed bodies on young men of an age who should know better.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Skeleton things = Necrons.

No.1 son is into these, fairly recently. Drives me mad, as he bodges the painting of them to get to play with them sooner...

Top Bottom