Anyone keep written records of rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found this notebook on offer in Paperchase Plymouth, and decided to do so.
20181031_095921.jpg

I just use Strava, never kept a log before that

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I use MyCyclinglog.com as this links to my maintenance record, plus Strava for statistics. I've also got a spreadsheet (overkill?) that links to how much I've spent and saved plus what I've actually got in stock bike/equipment-wise.

Only on big rides to a I do a 'proper' write-up.

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I just kept some details of the races I did - and I kept start sheets, result sheets, local paper write ups, any photos that were taken and even my race number. I didn't keep notes of any other rides, like training runs or weekend journeys. The club I was in was primarily a racing club so we didn't do much touring. We did go down to the Isle of Wight a couple of times at Easter though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, I've been keeping a record of every ride on a spreadsheet since I went over to road cycling about 8 years ago. I record the day and date, the route, my companions, time, average and distance and weather plus any comments, which help me to remember the ride. I also record occasional purchases like new chains or tyres. My last entry was on 18.08.18 (inauspicious date?) and says: "Crashed on the bridge at Forest Beck, broke collarbone" so I won't be forgetting that ride.

dodgy

I have all my GPS data in SportTracks since 2006, in the notes section I tend to write about who I met on any given ride. Glad I did, it really helps to recall the exact ride years later, amazing how much you suddenly recall when you're reminded who you saw or what cafe you visited.

Kempstonian

This was my Dad's ....

View attachment 436349

I think it was an offer from Cycling Weekly in the early 50's.
My dad recorded all his times from 1938 thru to 1954 when he stopped racing and than I used it to record my times from 1967 thru to 1970 when I ran out of space and now it's all in a big spread sheet. Some 500 rides.
:ohmy: That's a lot of rides! But I suppose it covers a lot of years too... mine is a very small list compared to that. Just 34 races.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I used to keep all my information on rides and speeds and weather and notable occurrences on the computer. I kept them in a notebook, as I did running as well, until the 80's, but after that it was all on the computer. Now I just use My Cycling Log and a cycling app. I need to get a new cycling app as my phone got run over a couple weeks ago. I also tend to blog about longer rides.

Sharky

Guru
:ohmy: That's a lot of rides! But I suppose it covers a lot of years too... mine is a very small list compared to that. Just 34 races.
Been racing (TT's) from 1967 thru to this year. Had a few years when children were being born etc, but I think I've hit the start line on about 35 of those years. Nowadays, I just ride our club's evening 10 series, so about 15 rides each year.

Kempstonian

Been racing (TT's) from 1967 thru to this year. Had a few years when children were being born etc, but I think I've hit the start line on about 35 of those years. Nowadays, I just ride our club's evening 10 series, so about 15 rides each year.
I often regret packing up. I was a fool really - I sold all my bikes too. I should have at least kept one of them so I could get some exercise, if nothing else. But I bought a Lambretta... then cars... :blush:

Anyway I've got a nice bike now so I'll be able to take a few leisurely rides and take in some sights locally. Looking forward to that! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom