Anyone know a cheap but sound way to call overseas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I need to call Saudi Arabia, can't even get a price from my mobile company, and Plusnet want 66p/min. :ohmy: I've googled a few links, but it all looks a bit dodgy to me. Has anyone out there used any of these 'dial this number followed by the number' services? Successfully? Or are they all flakey/iffy.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can't you just do a Watsapp call?

si_c

Guru
I've used localphone relatively successfully in the past although as @Globalti mentions internet calls could well be a better option. It depends on your use case.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
WhatsApp, Messenger, Google Hangouts (I think), Zoom, House Party........................I'm sure there are others. We use WhatsApp and Messenger regularly without any issues

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone. Sounds like Lebara is what I was looking for, but Messenger would actually be a better option. Can I use it to call regular phone numbers? I have to admit I've only ever used it to make video calls to overseas munchkins (for which it's worked pretty well on the whole).

As above. I regularly use Whats App and Messenger, both very satisfactory and a good connection.

WhatsApp etc very good but the call recipient needs to have the app installed and reply on that app. For calling a landline or mobile number which the recipient can pick up like a normal call, I have downloaded an app onto my smartphone called Rebtel.

Not free but very cheap, at least for the countries that I have experience of. You buy some credit (say £5) and then just use that for making calls until it asks for the next top-up.

https://www.rebtel.com/en/

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Skype is another option. It will phone out to a normal number - Call Saudi Arabia directly using Skype | Starts from 5.3p/min
I think I have a winner! For me at least. WhatApp & Messenger look great, but neither, it seems, actually works quite like a regular call. They need corresponding apps on the other end, alert people to calls with in-app prompts and the like. I need something where I can phone someone from my mobile, using their number, and talk to them just as I would over the phone. And it seems Skype lets me do that, very easily, for around 10p a minute.

Thanks to all who responded. And do let me know if I've got the wrong end of the stick, or if you have a better suggestion ^_^.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Watsapp lets you phone people like on a regular call and the sound quality is excellent. When I was working I used it for all my overseas agents. The good thing is the ability to photograph and send documents, the whole business world uses it as an informal tool when it's something non-essential.

Top Bottom