Anyone know anything about electric bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mossie

HI,

I've bought an sDuro Haibike Full Nine last September on our cycle to work scheme. Ive used it loads on time on quite rough trails in Scotland. I can't speak too highly of it for both off and on road. In fact I'm so impressed with it that I bought an sDuro Haibike Hard Seven for my wife as well. I'm now going to sell my other non-electric mountain bike because I just don't want to use it anymore, the Haibikes are so much more fun !
I also bought from Germany a tuner FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY !! which takes out the 15mph restriction and it goes like absolute stink when selected, but it does eat up battery power quite noticeably.

IMG_1862.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nice bikes, although you should be aware using one with the derestriction device is illegal, no matter where you use it.

"Off road" is the same as "on road" for this purpose because the public has access to the land in both cases.

Does this illegality matter?

Almost certainly not, assuming you are not concerned about breaking the laws applicable to using an EPAC - electrically assisted pedal cycle.

But if you hit someone with the derestricted bike their case against you will be stronger.

You risk prosecution for using it on the trail/cycle path in the same way someone using a moped or quad bike could be prosecuted.

I've not heard of anyone being prosecuted for using a standard bike derestricted like yours, and they won't send you to prison for it.

In the unlikely event you are caught, confiscation and/or a fine is the most likely.

Mossie

Nice bikes, although you should be aware using one with the derestriction device is illegal, no matter where you use it.

"Off road" is the same as "on road" for this purpose because the public has access to the land in both cases.

Does this illegality matter?

Almost certainly not, assuming you are not concerned about breaking the laws applicable to using an EPAC - electrically assisted pedal cycle.

But if you hit someone with the derestricted bike their case against you will be stronger.

You risk prosecution for using it on the trail/cycle path in the same way someone using a moped or quad bike could be prosecuted.

I've not heard of anyone being prosecuted for using a standard bike derestricted like yours, and they won't send you to prison for it.

In the unlikely event you are caught, confiscation and/or a fine is the most likely.

Yes, point taken. The first bike I got in September came with it fitted by the dealer (UK Dealer) and connected to the light switch, so it is very easy to switch on/off.

Mossie

How much was this ??

Do you mean including the cycle to work scheme ?

That Full Nine was the most expensive at £2600. Our scheme at work was the first £1500. So I got a voucher from work towards the bike. £1500 is deducted from your salary over a year. So depending on how much tax you pay, you get tax relief on the £1500. So for example, if you are a 40% tax payer , a £2600 bike would actually cost you £2000. There are loads of schemes, some better some worse depending on what your employer has signed up for.
That Hard Seven in the picture was about £1800 I think. My mrs got it from Raleigh on interest free credit.
Those are 2016 models, several dealers are still selling 2015 models and they are quite a bit cheaper.

Top Bottom