Anyone know anything about Learner driver insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Take a look at Admiral. They were really good when my son was learning to drive (in his own car, thanks to Grandma!) and didn’t fleece us when he passed and moved on to his own insurance.

I believe that they are owned by Endsleigh, who were outstanding when it came to our travel insurance renewal and cover for holidays booked before Covid, despite the policy coming up for renewal during the pandemic.
My eldest used Admiral when he passed. It was the cheapest but everywhere was extortionate due to a combination of being 24, living in central Manchester, needing business insurance and being a musician. He got a black box which was supposed to send him reports on his driving. He never heard from them!
He stayed with Admiral for his second year as it was still the cheapest. The combination of driving for a year, turning 25 and moving out of Manchester has more than halved it. No idea if the black box is still working - no one came and removed it anyway!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
About 2 1/2 years ago, my 17 year old daughter was put on my policy, for her to learn basic roadcraft. After about 3 months we paid for lessons for her to learn what was required for her to pass the driving test. For her to go on my policy for a (then) 1.9 TDI Golf, as a named driver cost cost relatively little, around £100 IIRC.
However, her own insurance was a lot higher, particularly after she passed her test.

My eldest used Admiral when he passed. It was the cheapest but everywhere was extortionate due to a combination of being 24, living in central Manchester, needing business insurance and being a musician. He got a black box which was supposed to send him reports on his driving. He never heard from them!
He stayed with Admiral for his second year as it was still the cheapest. The combination of driving for a year, turning 25 and moving out of Manchester has more than halved it. No idea if the black box is still working - no one came and removed it anyway!

You need to log on to your Admiral account and look at the telematics - you don’t get sent anything. The data goes to the insurer so they can see the driving style.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks again. My wife mentioned a friend who's done this and it turns out she used Admiral too! I'll definitely be checking them out. Especially as the quote I got from Marmalade for munchkin minor (21) seemed on the steep side to me - around £80 for a month, and I couldn't see any real no real 'by the day' option. She works during the week (odd & long hours) so we really need to be able to do it literally day by day if we go that sort of route.

Thanks all for your help.

Top Bottom