Anyone know anything about (mini) palm trees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Not sure how long we've had it - upwards of a decade, for sure - but last year it flowered. For the first and, we've since learned, only time. Apparently their whole existence leads up to this (to be honest, underwhelming) floral display, after which they consider that a job well done and get on with karking out. As witness...

photo_2023-05-09_12-15-19.jpg

Browning leaves, no new leaves, goodnight Vienna, pretty much as per.

But hang on, what's this?

photo_2023-05-09_12-15-24.jpg

Two strange little shoots that have suddenly burst through the bark, maybe 10" from ground level. Does this mean it's not dead after all? Could/should I cut the trunk above the shoots? Or what?

I'm kind of assuming it's all over bar the shouting, so anything that comes out of this is bunce. Thanks for any ideas.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hate to disillusion you but first it's not a palm tree, mini or otherwise, and it's only some, not all, species of palm which die after flowering. What you have there is Cordyline australis or the New Zealand Cabbage Palm. Tens of thousands of these have died across the UK this winter as a plant which has become considered to be hardy has proven not to be under certain conditions. Last autumn/early winter we had an extended growing season with unusually mild weather and plants didn't harden up sufficiently to survive the sudden cold snap experienced across parts of the country. I live in Lancashire and the county, especially on the Fylde, is littered with dead Cordyline of all ages. In some areas, my garden!, Phormium have also suffered for the same reason and this is considered to be a much hardier beast.

You're lucky, yours has survived and should regrow from the developing buds. Wait and see where buds develop and then cut back to just above the highest one. You could start cutting back now in stages, the dead area at the top of the plant will be soft when squeezed, work your way down cutting off a little at a time until you hit firm wood.

Don't overwater it in an attempt to be kind, let nature do her stuff.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
As above
Maybe a bit of liquid seaweed feed as a bit of general tonic anything stronger now won't help. That's if you've any about the place.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
On second thoughts, I think I'm going to hold fire just for the moment, not least because I can't find any part of the trunk that's 'soft when squeezed' - it all feels fine to me. I'll keep a good eye on the new shoots, and give the trunk a good squeeze occasionally....steady as she goes...

Good decision

stephec

Legendary Member
I can't believe that no one's mentioned Cc's very own palm owning member yet.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I have two of these things.
They are impossible to kill in mild SE London.
They are like a hydra. Every time to chop a head off two reappear within weeks.
The one in the back garden is easily 18 inches in diameter. I’d be quite happy if it died as it is pushing up my patio slabs.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Hate to disillusion you but first it's not a palm tree, mini or otherwise, and it's only some, not all, species of palm which die after flowering. What you have there is Cordyline australis or the New Zealand Cabbage Palm.

Marketed in this country as the Torbay Palm. Almost impossible to kill, but probably safe enough in a pot.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Marketed in this country as the Torbay Palm. Almost impossible to kill, but probably safe enough in a pot.

Yes, I do recall Torbay Palm as a common name from decades back but much more likely to be sold as Cordyline today.

I'm afraid the last winter has proved the wrong weather conditions will quickly kill Cordyline. Tens of thousands of plants from very young to fully mature have died across Lancashire. I had two ten year old Cordyline in pots in a sheltered backyard. Both are dead. I suspect it will be the same throughout the UK. Now the growing season is with us it's apparent another "hardy" NZ import, Phormium, has suffered badly. I've lost two and I'm seeing very mature plants, 10-15 years old, which appear to be dead.

During my career I've seen many semi-tender plants become considered as Hardy. The last winter has caught up with some of these.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Yes, I do recall Torbay Palm as a common name from decades back but much more likely to be sold as Cordyline today.

I'm afraid the last winter has proved the wrong weather conditions will quickly kill Cordyline. Tens of thousands of plants from very young to fully mature have died across Lancashire. I had two ten year old Cordyline in pots in a sheltered backyard. Both are dead. I suspect it will be the same throughout the UK. Now the growing season is with us it's apparent another "hardy" NZ import, Phormium, has suffered badly. I've lost two and I'm seeing very mature plants, 10-15 years old, which appear to be dead.

During my career I've seen many semi-tender plants become considered as Hardy. The last winter has caught up with some of these.

The one in E's London garden proved resistant to saw, glyphosate and stump-killer. They're still going strong on the south-west coast.

Top Bottom