Anyone know anything about old French bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's rather lovely. Have you bought it?

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
No I haven't bought it. I found it lying behind a hostel while touring last week. Apparently a French student arrived on it years ago and left on the bus without it and it's been there ever since.

As far as I remember the chain guard just has the manufacturer's name on it, so just like head badge.

I am toying with the idea of a return trip back to the hostel later in the summer, but only going by car this time and seeing if I can leave with it in the boot...

woodbutcher

Veteran
No I haven't bought it. I found it lying behind a hostel while touring last week. Apparently a French student arrived on it years ago and left on the bus without it and it's been there ever since.

As far as I remember the chain guard just has the manufacturer's name on it, so just like head badge.

I am toying with the idea of a return trip back to the hostel later in the summer, but only going by car this time and seeing if I can leave with it in the boot...
Looks like a 1950's randonneuse bit like this ladies bike https://www.ebay.fr/itm/VELO-VILLE-...m=362325569884&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@tyred i only know what google says about the name on the headbadge buts it's a rather classy looking machine , it wont be an all dancing racer but it will be stylish .

French bikes often have odd thread types and sizes but thats the fun of them

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I've decided I'm going to go back and try to acquire it, although it will be July before I can go back. It's just too nice to leave to rot away.

The thought occurs to me though that if the owner left it, either there must be something seriously wrong that I didn't notice on a casual look (cracked frame?) or he thought it was worthless junk and of no value.

Baron von Zach

Sadly I know a lot about old French bicycles, since I have no life.

Sparting was a manufacturer of pushbikes and small motorcycles located in Rennes.
The earliest bicycle from them I ever came across was from 1922, but I assume they started earlier than that.
The newest ones I've seen are from the 1970s. I have no idea what happened to the company afterwards.

The example you shared with us is pretty certainly from the early 50s and very likely on 650b tyres.
It is imperative that any old French bike you buy is complete, otherwise you will end up in a sea of misery (guess how I know).
Not only are all threads metric, but also the stems, handlebars, etc., so nothing you can find in the UK today will fit.
This means you have to get everything sent from France and let me tell you, dealing with the French is tough to put it mildly.

Only in the Eighties the French bike manufacturers gradually adopted standard ISO bits.

To be quite frank, I'd leave it where it is and not look back.
If you are really interested in a vintage French 650b, try to find a better one to start with.

However, if you still decide to go for it, I shall avail you all the knowledge I have.

Top Bottom