Anyone know what these weeds are and how to kill them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@mudsticks and @tom73 are right, it's clover. The white form is the more common but it's not unusual to have the pinky one.

Personally I like it and as soon as the clover begins to flower I stop cutting that area of the lawn. It is a very valuable food source for bees.

Clover takes the nitrogen it needs from the air and can be an indicator of a lawn in poor condition. If you must control it can I suggest you go for the more friendly approach - cut the grass short to prevent seed heads forming and fertilise the lawn to encourage grass growth to crowd out the clover.

If you want chemical control use a broadleaf weedkiller which contains fluroxypyr - this will be listed as the active ingredient. Once you've killed the clover you'll have bare patches which will need gently cultivating, over sow with grass seed and keep the whole lawn well fed.

Living with it or the friendly option are the better choices.

I don't understand the fixation with pristine monoculture lawns. They're green wastelands.
Give me a wild meadow any day of the week.

Oddly enough the neighbours don't agree.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I don't understand the fixation with pristine monoculture lawns. They're green wastelands.

It's the usual, command and control, chemical warfare approach.

It's far more profitable for chemical companies, than our laissez faire

"Oh aren't the wild flowers pretty, and isn't nature a marvel?" attitude.

Sadly its also really bad for wildlife :sad:

I sometimes wonder how many people who buy all these nature zapping chemicals, also have an rspb sticker in their car window ??

pawl

Legendary Member

You should the lawn across from me it it’s that artificial grass .As her next door neighbour a very refined older lady well that’s b…~|§ ed the hedgehogs up.They spend half the time moaning to all and sundry about the amount of leaves that litter the lawn

Top Bottom