anyone made a bike alarm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
bonj said:
Can you get ones that instead of a shrill siren, shout repeatedly "I AM BEING RAPED... I AM BEING RAPED..." in a loud voice, so then people are more likely to come and help me fight them off than if they think,oh it's justanother car alarm going off?
Just route your ipod (or similar device) to the device with a personalised message of your own devising . Connect the alarm switch to the internal connections of the play button of the ipod.;)

Night Train

Maker of Things
bonj said:
Can you get ones that instead of a shrill siren, shout repeatedly "I AM BEING RAPED... I AM BEING RAPED..." in a loud voice, so then people are more likely to come and help me fight them off than if they think,oh it's justanother car alarm going off?
That doesn't work, women are sometimes advised to shout fire as it gets a better response.
So don't use a rape alarm, use a smoke detector.

Tape a bit of sand paper to the crank and a swan vesta on the edge of the front mech. Then zip tie a bit of sash cord near the head of the swan vesta and then place the smoke detector on the seat tube just above the sash cord. When someone pedals away the swan vesta will light, that will light the sash cord and the smoke will set off the smoke detector. People will think there is a fire and wake up to look for it. The smell of the smoldering sash cord would add realism to the 'fire' effect.

used to have a bike alarm that worked along these principles when i was younger, but as they were in the press etc, surely serious bike thieves would just carry a knife/wirecutters and a bit of wire to bridge the connection before cutting it?? - making it a bit pointless IMO, although its a slight deterrant, if i were to want to steal a bike, i'd rather nick one with one of these alarms than a decent lock...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Good suggestion, but (a) they're goingto need a torch to do that, which would wake me up, and (:biggrin: i doubt many 'serious bike thieves' actually carry a length of wire just for that eventuality.

Top Bottom