anyone made a bike alarm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

such as the type whereby you have a wire, which goes round your bike and the other end round your wrist/ankle/[any other body part], so that it's armed when you're sleeping in your tent. Simple concept - impossible to remove the bike without breaking the wire whereupon the alarm would go off - thus you've got bike security when you're camping.
I would imagine it's not too difficult and that all the parts are available from maplin, but out of curiosity has anybody done it successfully?

If I make one shall I go on dragon's den with it?

Twiggy

two problems.

What happens if they don't cut the wire, and just try to ride off? Can imagine some horrible injuries from that.

Then also you've got to have a wire running from outside the tent, all the way inside somehow. What if you move in your sleep?

MessenJah

Rider
Piss easy. Just ask the police for a rape alarm (they're free) and wire it up to your bike. It was in one of the MTB magazines.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Twiggy said:
two problems.

What happens if they don't cut the wire, and just try to ride off? Can imagine some horrible injuries from that.
You're going to wake up and chase them off long before they manage to get to that stage!

(see smokin' joe's reply.)
Twiggy said:
Then also you've got to have a wire running from outside the tent, all the way inside somehow.
The bike would be in the tent's porch.

Twiggy said:
What if you move in your sleep?
What if?
The wire would be long enough, and even the thinnest electrical solid core or multicore wire available from maplin, strong enough - to not break simply due to movements in the sleep.

wlc1 said:
NOpe, that's something completely different. From its description, that would appear to be a microwave sensor. You see what you've done there is you've taken a wild stab in the dark, searched for it, not found it, but copied and pasted the first thing that came up anyway.
What I want to do is to alarm my bike, hence I want a bike alarm.
What I don't want to do is to sense microwaves, hence I don't want a microwave sensor.

Admin said:
What about a level sensor that trips if the bike is moved?
That sort of thing?

Edit: This looks like it fits the bill ...
http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/5802/4138036934588149712.html
Feasible, but I think it's going to be more fiddly. In other words if I arm it and then adjust the position of the bike slightly, or reach across it to get something, it's going to set it off accidentally and wake everybody up needlessly.
Close, but I want the trigger to be breakage of a wire, not simply any movement.

linfordlunchbox said:
You mean something like this ?

You don't have to reinvent the wheel, you could acquire exclusive marketing rights to sell this type of product to the cycle industry with a bit of careful negotiation (IE re-branding it for cyclists without the development costs of starting from scratch) :biggrin:

http://www.office-online.co.uk/product.php?productid=3661
Close, to be honest. Wonder how long the cable is though? I wonder if I could cut the cable to test it and attach my own wire?

MessenJah said:
Piss easy. Just ask the police for a rape alarm (they're free) and wire it up to your bike. It was in one of the MTB magazines.

What, and stick a notice on it saying "Excuse me thieves, but if you are going to nick this bike would you please have the courtesy to also press the button on this rape alarm so I know you're nicking it and can be alerted in order to give chase?" :tongue::rolleyes::biggrin: Tit!

Bigtallfatbloke

If in a suspect area (which I would try not to be) I tie th bike to my trangia cookset at night. The cookset is under the flysheet about 2 " from my head. If th ebike moves all th emetal pots etc go flying ...I hear it..they hear it...hopefully they leg it. Itreod tying it to my finger once but couldnt sleep.

Bottom line though is dont pitch where you percieve there to be a risk.

bonj said:
What, and stick a notice on it saying "Excuse me thieves, but if you are going to nick this bike would you please have the courtesy to also press the button on this rape alarm so I know you're nicking it and can be alerted in order to give chase?" :biggrin::rolleyes::biggrin: Tit!

A rape alarm is activated when you pull a pin in it out. I think what he was suggesting is for you to tie some fishing line (or something equally hard to see) to the pin, so if anybody tries to take your bike away the pin gets pulled and the alarm goes off. Of course if anybody sees the wire they could just cut it.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Night Train said:
I wouldn't bother with it to be honest. I would just screw a couple of ground anchors into the ground and chain the bike to them.

serious suggestions only please unless actually funny.

col

Legendary Member
What about taking the chain off too,with those special easy links,can you imagine it in the dark when they jump on trying to pedal,with the alarm screeching away?:biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
What you want is a couple of thin piano wire nooses looped above the pedals, the other ends of which are securely fixed the aforementioned ground anchors. Then when someone jumps on your otherwise unsecured bike and pedals away the nooses tighten up and cheesewire their ankles.

Ore you could replace the seat with a squeaky dog toy so when they jump on and start pedalling...
Or better still fix the squeaky dog toys to the pedals!

Top Bottom