Anyone on here claimed for PPI miss-selling?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I wouldn't know where to start - I've had plenty of cards and loans in the past but do you just write to them saying you had a card/loan with them in the past and hope they come back and say "oh yes, guilty as charged - have some money!" ??
Just phone them, most firms have a dedicated team for PPI. Do not go to a third party firm.

vickster

Legendary Member
I applied as I'd had PPI on a credit card but failed as unfortunately, I'd naively ticked the PPI box on the form during the application process...about 25 years ago, aged 18! Natwest actually had a copy of the paperwork

I applied as I'd had PPI on a credit card but failed as unfortunately, I'd naively ticked the PPI box on the form during the application process...about 25 years ago, aged 18! Natwest actually had a copy of the paperwork

That doesn't mean they didn't mis sell the product.

Nationwide gave examples of reasons for claiming. So I just copied one out. Think it was "I believed PPI was necessary when taking out the loan"

Globalti

Legendary Member
We had an IFA neighbour who was the worst possible advert for the financial services business (I refuse to glamourise it with the description "industry".) He made a fortune selling dodgy mortgages and PPI to idiots and then when it all backfired, made an even bigger fortune creaming off 25% of every successful claim for a PPI refund, all because his customers are too lazy or stupid to fill in the claim form. He's now a tax exile living in Spain and owning houses there, in Hungary, Florida and the UK. Go figure.

byegad

Legendary Member
We never took it out. Lady Byegad used to work for a large high street bank whose symbol isn't a white horse!
Her job was taking dictated letters and turning them into English as she typed them up for posting.
A very high percentage of these letters were to tell a claimant why their PPI cover 'Sadly didn't apply in this case'.
So we kicked any offer into touch every time.

PPI - possibly one of the best investemnts I ever made! Paid in £10 per month for around 12 years for mortgage cover before I realised work's sick pay would provide the cover. Completed my own paperwork, possibly around 1hr's work max, and got £6500 in return.

All I knew was the insurance company it was taken out with and rough dates of start and cancelation and they had to do all the tracking back.

Thats a remarkable return on your investment :okay:
10x12x12=£1440

Brand X

I know two people who have claimed for PPI, they both used PPI claims companies but I don't remember who and it was several years ago. My advice to anyone claiming PPI is to DIY it only if you know precisely what amount of money you should receive. If you do, then it's not difficult to fill out a form and lodge the claim.

PPI companies take a big chunk of your cash, but the guy you talk to on the end of the phone is on commission, and if he is experienced and knows his stuff, he'll claim on your behalf for compensation you wouldn't have known you were entitled to. They want their commission, and they know how to play the game.

Brand X

PPI - possibly one of the best investemnts I ever made! Paid in £10 per month for around 12 years for mortgage cover before I realised work's sick pay would provide the cover. Completed my own paperwork, possibly around 1hr's work max, and got £6500 in return.

All I knew was the insurance company it was taken out with and rough dates of start and cancelation and they had to do all the tracking back.

For you it was a nice surprise, but just think how many people lost their homes because they didn't have enough money left after paying PPI to keep up with mortgage repayments.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
That's the thing, I probably wouldn't bother sifting through all my stuff pesonally so getting 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our mortgage who we are currently with came with a free protection then started charging. I cancelled the PPI after a couple of years. Must get round to filling the forms in.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
So I decided to give it a go - but avoid the claims companies. My first target is Barclaycard, who even make it easy to check whether you've had PPI with them.

Let's see what they come back with...

I did this and got a letter from them today which states that I had PPI between May 2008 and July 2009. Funnily enough, I remember calling them to cancel it, because I remember thinking it was a waste of money, but I'm surprised it was that long ago.

Next step is to decide if I want to raise a complaint. Again, this seems to be fairly straightfoward to do through Barclaycard's own website.

This is their description of the process:

Barclays PPI complaint submission

Completing your PPI complaint usually takes 30 minutes. You can’t save the form, so you’ll need to set aside time to complete it in one go.

You may need
  • Your PPI account details and dates Your employment status and details of any sickness at the time you took out PPI Details of any savings, insurance, or loans you took – plus any debt you paid off Details of any joint product or policy holders that will be raising this complaint with you If you provide details of any joint product or policy holders, you are confirming that you are raising a complaint on their behalf, and that you have their consent to do so.
  • If your name or address may be different to those held by us, you may need to amend your details on your existing records before we can resolve your query.
  • If for any reason you cannot complete the form online, then download and print the PPI complaint form PDF. Take your completed form to a branch, or post to FREEPOST BARCLAYS PPI COMPLAINTS.
  • The form asks you for personal and financial details relevant to your relationship with Barclays, Barclaycard, Firstplus, First Data, Littlewoods, Woolwich, Morgan Stanley, Goldfish, Egg (each and together 'us', 'we' or 'Barclays').The Barclays Group use and retain details you give about yourself – and others – to investigate and resolve your query or complaint, for research or analysis and to prevent fraud. These details which may include health and conviction information will be shared with insurers, agents and fraud prevention agencies for these purposes. If we transfer data to an overseas organisation, we will ensure they apply the same level of protection as we are required to apply. Your details will be retained for as long as needed for legal, regulatory and legitimate business purposes.

Could be worth doing but would be a fair bit of faff to dig out all that information. I wonder if the fact that I cancelled it before would work in my favour if I made a complaint - ISTR the reason I gave for cancelling it is that I was already covered by other policies (workplace salary protection) so didn't need it.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't know if you're limited to claime less than 6 years after the event or what, it's clear as mud..
I successfully claimed from Lloyds for a loan I took out over 20 years ago, so no intrinsic limit, no. I had the paperwork though, I imagine it might be harder to show you had a loan that old if you're relying on the lender's records

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Were then any genuine hidden PPI on Credit Cards or Bank accounts? I recall declining PPI on everything where I had the choice but don't recall the question on Credit Card Applications.

Anyway I have used @User link to go fishing with Barclays...

Top Bottom