Anyone on Statins.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
If you are, how long have you been taking them.Have you been told you are at risk of type 2 diabetes.just wondering after today, and a new report.It's just that only yesterday i was told i am at risk.This might be nothing but i have been on EZITIMBE for about three years.
It does not mean to say it's linked,because someone near to me,who is not on any STATINS has just been told she has diabetes.I would just like a few personal reactions,thanks.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm on ezitimibe also. Atorvastatin produced a lupus like rash and I was switched.

ezitimibe is not a statin and works in a very different way. it sits in the gut wall and slows uptake whereas statins reduce production of cholesterol.

ezitimibe is very expensive £500pa iirc.

diabetes is not on my everlenghthening list of problems. I'm up to 5 routine meds!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
STATINS nearly killed my mother. She was prescribed them while on medication for arthritis and the combination of both completely stripped her immune system.

She was in hospital for weeks and the family were "called" on several occasions.

Took them ages to diagnose the problem - at one point they thought it was AIDS :eek:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
17 years on Atorvastatin (familial hypercholesterolaemia). No side effects, and better chol levels than Johnny Public

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
ezitimibe is very expensive £500pa iirc.
That's nothing compared to the £10+kpa for Repatha or Praluent, the PCSK9 inhibitors.

Statins don't directly inhibit cholesterol production. They inhibit HMG-Coenzyme A reductase, which is needed to produce cholesterol, but it does other things too.

I was on statins for years. Never told of diabetes risk and glucose figures were rock steady. Stopped because I kept getting severe joint pain and cramp while cycling and we felt cycling probably does more good than cholesterol reduction through inhibiting production. I'm betting my life on it...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Five years on atorvastatin, ezetimibe, ramipril and bisoprolol fumarate. No side effects at all. My BP and cholesterol are both a lot lower now compared to before. I was extremely reluctant to start taking them but it doesn't bother me in the slightest now.

midlife

Guru
My mother in law was taken off them 2 weeks ago as she was testing as ‘pre diabetic’.

Statins increase blood glucose if memory serves. So can "cause" pre diabetes or make type 2 worse. Usual trick in the past was to give Metformin as well as a Statin but might have changed nowadays.

midlife

Guru
S**t stirring from the media as usual. This was known way back in 2012. Probably earlier too. Not exactly breaking news.
https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/statins-and-diabetes/
I've been type 1 for 37 years and on 80mg Atorvastatin for the last 4 years. I haven't noticed any increase in my glucose levels through statins.

Not the media the FDA

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm293101.htm

And in the BNF. See under common or very common

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/atorvastatin.html

For ATORVASTATIN
Common or very common
Back pain; epistaxis; hyperglycaemia; nasopharyngitis; pharyngeolaryngeal pain

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Atorvastatin 80mg for two years since heart attack. No side effects I’m aware of and my GP advises I stick with them providing there are no adverse reactions.

All my bloods came back perfect a couple of months ago.

I’m interested by Threevok’s remarks re his mother as I’m discussing arthritis in my hip with my GP and how to treat it.

Top Bottom