Anyone painted a frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
So iv decided to tart up my winter beast.....
Iv watched numerous videos about how to strip the existing paint off and re-paint the frame and have hopefully picked up a few tips along the way. I know I could send it off to get the paint blasted off or whatever but I think I'd get more satisfaction out of doing everything myself, plus I like getting stuck into a project. I'm not going mad with various colours or anything just going to stick with one colour and add a few subtle decals etc....
Has anyone done this with their own bike ? Perhaps give me a few pointers.....
Would love to see pics of your handy work

Mrs M

Guru
Yes, my brothers blue Grifter with red nail polish!
Didn't go well :sad:

compo

Veteran
I have just done a road bike. The painting was easy. The stripping the old paint was one of those never again promises. Fortunately I was able to do some of it with a grit blaster but because the cabinet was too small for the entire frame I ended up using wallpaper paste and caustic soda to get the rest of the paint off as the paint strippers I used, including nitiromors, were absolutely useless.

You may want the satisfaction of a job well done but really unless finances preclude it consider powder coating. It is worth the money just for the paint stripping alone.

screenman

Legendary Member
I used to teach Smart Repair painting, first the single pack paints you are likely to use have very little longevity. Once you have bought all the prepping materials, primers, paints, lawyers, you would be deeper in that a decent powder coat.

I am yet too see a self painted bike that in my opinion looks anything other than hand painted.

Hope if you spend time doing it that you prove me wrong.

One tip if I must, the best of all the rattle can laquers on the market, and I say this through clenched teeth is Halfrauds.

arch684

Veteran
I have painted a few frames with spray cans and got a good finish.the secret is in the preparation I buy the paint from my local spray store

screenman

Legendary Member
I have painted a few frames with spray cans and got a good finish.the secret is in the preparation I buy the paint from my local spray store

Do not get me wrong, as a painter I can get a good finish, I do feel proper application of a final wet coat helps, but as for longevity of shine, no way. Now with a twin pack it is a different matter or even UV curing the finish is more durable.

screenman

Legendary Member
With a shop around you may get a blast and finish for £50 then down to the graphics shop/sign writers and you have something that looks good and stays good.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have painted forks and stuff and got what I considered a good result. A local company matched the frame colour and supplied spray tins of the paint and primer. This time of year though, you will really struggle with the temperature. Rattle tins in my (limited) experience, really don't like low temperatures.

Another big advantage of the powder coat is the durability of the stuff. I have it on old 1990 mountain bikes and it still looks pretty good! They have really taken a beating but still polish up OK. For a winter hack, I don't think it can be bettered.

screenman

Legendary Member
To make a rattle can work better, just warm it up. In the trade we will drop them in a bucket of warm water for 5 minutes or use a hair dryer, on a low setting be careful though guys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom