Anyone Play The Harmonica?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Pretty easy. The important thing is to get one in the right key. C is the most popular. I had a book and learnt to play a couple of tunes just to go with guitar playing really. But mostly it's fun to just freestyle it and practise bending notes etc. And really annoy people who don't like the sound.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
use to own a couple when I was a kid, very easy to play, you soon get used to where the notes are and where the harmonica needs to be to select the correct tone and also whether you need to suck :ohmy: or blow for the required notes.

Forgive me if you already knew this, but.........

There are 2 basic styles of harmonica: chromatic and diatonic.

The chromatic has a "press button" in the side which helps you to reach all the sharps and flats. So, like a piano, you can play every note, and you can play a scale starting at any note and you will be able to include any sharps or flats. With practice, that is.

A diatonic harmonica is set up to mostly play just the notes of one scale. With practice, you can force the instrument to play some "out of scale" notes, which is called note bending, but you cant play every note including all sharps and flats.

Where it becomes difficult is when you try to play along with either other musicians, or with a record. Because apart from the difficulty of hitting the right notes, if you go for a diatonic harmonica, you need to have one in the right musical key. Diatonic harmonicas come in different keys (and C is the easiest to get your head round at the start), but if you do get hooked on harmonica playing, you may well eventually need some more harmonicas in different keys, as well as the C one......

I have now used up all my harmonica wisdom, so I will shut up now!

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The one I've ordered is C. I'll give it a go and upgrade if the bug bites and ability dictates.

Sandra6

Veteran
Mr6 and the two boys play harmonica, it never interested me or the girls.
They seemed to pick it up pretty quickly, so it can't be that hard ;-)
Enjoy.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Enjoy.. been playing blues harmonica for 28 years... mostly in church.. sometimes in the pub or at festivals. I have a full set of diatonics which I've built up over the years. The one I wear out the most is in A & played in E (cross-harp). I started with a Marine Band in D which was recommended as easier to play yet not to squeaky. It plays blues in A which is a popular key for guitarists. The advantage of playing cross-harp is that you can bend the first, third, fifth notes as you are sucking for those, and you also get the bonus diminished 7th note, which is supremely bluesy.

Enjoy !

Top Bottom