Anyone read any decent books recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

A timely thread; I'm just re-reading (for the 3rd time!) 'The Lost Language of Cranes' by David Leavitt. It is beautifully beautifully written and I read it a snail's pace to enhance my enjoyment of the crafted sentences. Thoroughly recommended.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've just read This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson, all about Fitzroy, Captain of The Beagle, his voyage with Darwin and later life. Very good. I offered it in a book swap, and had no takers, so if you want it...

I'm also a fan of the Lord Peter Whimsy books...

tyred

Legendary Member
djtheglove said:
I would also like to read well written stories the quality of literature seems to be sliding in a downward spiral.
Books appear to be becoming more like films these days produced for mass market without the quality!

In which case I would strongly recommend something by Andrew Greig, a Scottish novelist and poet. Electric Brae in particular is one of the most wonderful and touching novels I have ever read and The Return of John MacNab and Romano Bridge are also pretty exceptional.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's not a novel, but I can highly recommend 'Influence: Science and Practice' by Professor Robert B. Cialdini.

It is a detailed description of research into how people are influenced and the ways in which this information is used by marketers, salesmen and politicians to get what they want out of us.

Ever wondered why the payment slip sent to you by that charity 'suggests' donations of £250, £100, £10, £1? (Answer: they are trying to get you to donate £10. The £1 looks really small compared to the other figures so you'd feel guilty only giving that if other people are giving as much £250. If you give £10, you are 'saving' £240 or £90 compared to the biggest two figures, and you are giving ten times as much as the cheapskates who only pay £1.)

Why does the door-to-door salesman tell you that Mrs. Jones down the road just bought three 'widgets'?

'Everything must go!' How does that persuade people to buy?

Why do people in cities walk by motionless bodies lying in the street, but in small villages would stop to offer assistance?

Some of the discoveries are really amazing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
If DJ doesn't want it, Arch, I'd be interested, if it's still available.

Ok, well, I'll give him a day or two to reply, and if not, it's yours.

I passed Bad Science onto DannyG yesterday!

Mortiroloboy

Currently reading Paul Kimmage 'Rough Ride', got it in my local Cancer Research Charity shop £1.50, when I've read it It'll be up for grabs...

Greedo

Stuart McBride. Crime based novels based in Aberdeen. Could be set anywhere though.

Good yarns as they say.

Start with the first, Cold Granite, then Dying Light and Broken Skin. Not read his latest Flesh House.

Easy reading for bed time

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Arch said:
I've just read This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson, all about Fitzroy, Captain of The Beagle, his voyage with Darwin and later life. Very good. I offered it in a book swap, and had no takers, so if you want it...

I think we've only just started doing more non-cycling trades. I've been put off by it's length and heard very mixed reviews about it.

OP
OP
D

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Arch said:

I genuinley would be interested in reading that, Fitsroy lived in his later years very near my house(there is a blue plack) as I believe Darwin did as well, and as I am in to sailing and boats it sounds right up my street.
Historical subjects are interesting too.

Will PM you my details.etc.

OP
OP
D

DJ

Greedo said:
Stuart McBride. Crime based novels based in Aberdeen. Could be set anywhere though.

Good yarns as they say.

Start with the first, Cold Granite, then Dying Light and Broken Skin. Not read his latest Flesh House.

Easy reading for bed time

I might give them a go, I think I have heard about them as well.

OP
OP
D

DJ

User1314 said:
I read Ackroyd's "London: The Biography" last year. Factual but reads like fiction.

Work of genius. Essential reading for all Londoners.

About to start reading his companion piece "Thames".

Your right, we have that on the shelves somewhere, will dig it out and read it.

I have quite a list going now, so my histeria has waned somewhat, will look forward to getting in to some of the recomendations, new things are great.
Haven't replied to everyone individualy but I have read all the replies and made notes so thanks to everyone who has responded and do feel free to
carry on recomending.:sad:

derall

Guru
Started reading Michael Moorcock's "Byzantium Endures" on Saturday, and am about halfway through. Brilliant piece of writing, absolutely brilliant.

Top Bottom