Anyone read comics?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
When I was a kid, yes. The usual favourites were things like The Beano and The Dandy and then I got hooked on Commando comics. That said, on my way back from the newsagent I used to read my sister’s Bunty (I particularly enjoyed The Four Marys :shy:).

I got back into comics a few years ago as a way to help me learn Italian and it worked a treat. The story is always easy to follow, the context is given by each sketch and the dialogue is simple as well as short.

My absolute favourite is Tex Willer, a dedicated ranger who stands up for the rights of Native Americans, hunts down bandits and exposes corrupt politicians. Luckily I have an Italian friend who regularly brings me issues on his return from visits home.

The comic market in Italy is hugely popular, with material for all age groups. Others I read are the darker sort like Dylan Dog or Diabolik.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Yes just the Viz here too.
wish id read more comics growing up - many of the Viz characters are spoof versions of the originals, (Billy the Fish - Roy of the Rovers and Brown Bottle - Superman) for example. Not sure where Topless Skateboard Nun fits into that of course.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Beano, Dandy, Topper, Look and Learn, and the Commando mags as a kid, but never got into the whole Marvel/action comic scene...

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I lived in France I got quite into bandes dessinées or BD, which is huge in France and Belgium. Astérix and Tintin are examples but there are entire bookshops dedicated to the genre as well as magazines. We don't do it as well in British culture.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I don't think I ever did, Beano Dandy for Xmas..

I stopped reading the Sun ect before 2000 if that counts :laugh:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
We have every Asterix book published (collection started by me and continues by my son), and several 'graphic novels' (comics :laugh: ). The issue now (geddit?!) is that graphic novels are so bl00dy expensive. My son was looking at one few weeks back: £25!!! :eek:

Never really got into buying weekly comics other than Beano and Dandy as a kid. There was a short run on one called Wicked too which I enjoyed. I do have every issue (I think!) of the Quantum Leap comics that were published alongside the popular TV show.

@cyberknight 's recommendations above are right on the money. I would also add another Alan Moore one - V for Vendetta. I can also recommend the graphical novelisations of Terry Pratchett's books.

511120 511121 511122 511123

Somewhere I also have the french editions of Largo Winch too.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The issue now (geddit?!) is that graphic novels are so bl00dy expensive. My son was looking at one few weeks back: £25!!! :eek:

I agree about the prices. I bought a copy of Watchman, but I had to gulp hard first. I think 2000 AD costs £2.99 an issue. I don't think its intended demographic are 12-year-olds. so I don't know if that price is reasonable or not. I have watched vlogs on YouTube that say comics in America cost $3.99, which is more than you could expect a child to pay. Some of the vloggers say kids aren't reading comics any more. They are playing computer games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom