Anyone recently turned (or thinking of turning) vegetariann

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Sure there is an environmental reason to go vegan but when on average 40% of food produced is wasted I cant help thinking the environmental aspect of veganism is somewhat overshadowed by that. Do vegan people supplement with vitamin b12 out of interest?

AndyRM

XOXO
Sure there is an environmental reason to go vegan but when on average 40% of food produced is wasted I cant help thinking the environmental aspect of veganism is somewhat overshadowed by that. Do vegan people supplement with vitamin b12 out of interest?

Some do, some don't. It's the only thing you can't get normally in a vegan diet as far as I'm aware. When my ex was pregnant, the midwives were paranoid she was going to become anaemic, they ended up being amazed at the healthiness of her pregnancy, and also our little girl who was 100% vegan for the first two years of her life. Then she discovered Baby Bels...

pjd57

Veteran
Been veggie for almost 40 years.
Went vegan just over a year ago. That was a more awkward move.

Only advice I give to people thinking of doing it is you really should cook as much fresh stuff as possible.
No point ditching one lot of rubbish for a new lot with V symbols on it.

The range of vegan sausages , burgers etc is great but don't eat them all the time

pjd57

Veteran
I haven't eaten meat for around 39 years.
But I've never used any supplements .
63 now and ridiculously healthy.
Good diet and plenty of cycling.

MarkF

Guru
Not eaten meat for over 30 years, never taken supplements, not seen a doctor that time either.

Am not really one for meat substitute stuff but wow, we are spoilt for snack choice all of a sudden.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
If you remember 'Jessies diets' frrom the Fast show...
"this week we have mostly been eating eggs and chickpeas"
:angel:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Vegetarian was a First Nation word meaning poor hunter!

Mike

"The word vegetarian, coined by the founders of the British Vegetarian Society in 1842, comes from the Latin word vegetus, meaning "whole, sound, fresh, or lively," as in homo vegetus-a mentally and physically vigorous person. The original meaning of the word implies a balanced philosophical and moral sense of life, a lot more than just a diet of vegetables and fruits."

See also "Oxford Dictionary of Word Origins"

Roscoe

Veteran
Been vegetarian for 4 years now. This is a lifestyle and environmental choice for us. I say vegetarian because we eat eggs and do not exclude foods that may have dairy in them.

On the whole we eat fresh, but do eat the more processed food for variety on occasion. No realneed to supplement if you are sensible.

I actually can’t bear the thought of animals being slaughtered for our benefit. There is no humane or ethical way of slaughtering an animal.

The majority of crop production in the world is to feed livestock, not people.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I did a lovely simple meal yesterday.
Peppers, onion, garlic, Paprika, black pepper and a dash of Worcester sauce AND Hendersons relish.
Just finished it off.
Cheap and VERY tasty.

Top Bottom