Anyone recommend some modern Jazz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

I've a feeling this thread is drifting some way from what the OP had in mind... :-)

Venod

Eh up
Don't know the Joe Jackson Album & have not read all this thread so not sure what your looking for, but for some modern smooth jazz try The Jazzmaster series of 4 Albums by Paul Hardcastle,

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Two of my favourite Albums

A bit more bluesy

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
But seriously folks.....
what counts as modern; what counts as jazz; why am I on this forum instead of a bike?

It may not be modern or jazz, but I really like Barbara Thompson's Heavenly Bodies, especially side 1, inspired by the Swiss surrealist Dominique Appia's paintings.
Short samples available here, but unfortunately(?) no sign of the full versions on YouTube. Some of the listen buttons seem to link to totally different artists, but clicking on the title track seems to cycle through most of the other tracks. I don't understand music generally, but I love Le Grand Voyage, and can annoy the hell out of Mrs Poacher by attempting to replicate the competing time signatures with simultaneous humming and whistling. :whistle:

How about Gentle Giant - is it all prog rock, or does some of it qualify as jazz? Frank Zappa? Stomu Yamashta's Freedom is Frightening or Come to the Edge LP's?

Top Bottom