Anyone ride with a rucksac?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Rucksack here as well. I use my commuter for club runs and want to keep it relatively light. I do not think it is an issue.

Rucksack, ten quid, Tesco...56kms a day and recently 48kms a day. Yellow Med-Viz (:smile:) cover to keep out the weather. Gets a bit heavy with three bottles of Cabernet up though...:biggrin:

I may try panniers next bike.

rh100

AlanW said:
Well that was my train of thought, but now I'm not sure. If anything I now think that it may even be counter productive, but don't ask me to explain my reasoning?

Deep down I know that a rack and panniers is the answer, and I know how practical and useful it will be, but it just spoils the look of the bike. :biggrin:

Will the next step be Plus 4's and 35mm tyres. :smile:........:thumbsup::biggrin::biggrin:

It has taken me years to overcome my phobia of saddlebags, let alone thinking about fitting a rack now.

At least with my Carradice saddlebag QR Bagman support I can whip it off on a weekend, and the evening training bash.

The tesco one I mentioned is QR, don't know if it's any good though

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
AlanW said:
Well that was my train of thought, but now I'm not sure. If anything I now think that it may even be counter productive, but don't ask me to explain my reasoning?

Deep down I know that a rack and panniers is the answer, and I know how practical and useful it will be, but it just spoils the look of the bike. :smile:

Exactly............ I don't like the look of panniers, even though my bike has all the fittings, shoving those on a fixed road bike...goodness me..... mudguards are bad enough, but essential.

I'm not against panniers, but I like a 'clean' :biggrin: look...... I have an 'air' rucksack (Decathlon special) - i.e. the back sits on pads, so air can circulate - not too bad, but heavy lifting it on and off with the crap I carry, but not an issue when on..

The extra weight helps (panniers or rucksack) for weekend rides....you go much quicker with that lot not on you/the bike......

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think, ( I may be wrong), that a lot of people don't use a rack and panniers because they think they look faintly geeky, Hovis advert or something. Fair enough. If it bothered me, and it doesn't, I only have to undo four allen head screws, and I hey!, I'm cool again.

I commuted with a laptop in a rucksack on only one occassion, and it was the one time I got hit by a car. I got taken out sideways and because of the weight of my backpack I hit the floor with greater force, which resulted in a wedge fracture on two vertebrae in my upper back. Ergo I will *never* commute with a rucksack ever again!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Kirstie said:
I commuted with a laptop in a rucksack on only one occassion, and it was the one time I got hit by a car. I got taken out sideways and because of the weight of my backpack I hit the floor with greater force, which resulted in a wedge fracture on two vertebrae in my upper back. Ergo I will *never* commute with a rucksack ever again!

Did the laptop survive? :biggrin:

Rack and panniers for me too.:smile:

I find them practical, been commuting here for 13 years and five years in the West Country. Did a rucksack many years ago made my back sweat.

Go a new set of panniers recently, they clip on an off easily, I find them better for the overall balance of the bike and ride

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm a rucksack user and find it no problem on my regular commute. Sometimes it's a bit heavy if I have the laptop or similar to carry but once on the bike then it's not a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
AlanW said:
Very good, top marks for wit.....:smile:

As a result, extra text now added to clear up any confusion.:smile:
sorry - it was a question. I should perhaps have written - is the laptop less likely to be damaged in a rucksac than in a pannier bag?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The laptop is more likely to be damaged in a pannier, I suspect, for the simple reason that there is less "squidgy stuff "between it and the road compared to a rucksac which has your squidgy body between it and the road.

The Science has no consensus at this point, but alarming "tipping points" have been observed by previous posters on this thread

Top Bottom