Anyone ride with a rucksac?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

dellzeqq said:
sorry - it was a question. I should perhaps have written - is the laptop less likely to be damaged in a rucksac than in a pannier bag?
There are more vibrations on a pannier than in a rucksack but whether and how those are transferred to the contents depends on the packaging.

Cab

Rucksack. Army and navy shop type, sometimes with laptop in it. No problem with it on my three mile commute, but sometimes a sweaty back underneath it in summer.

Brahan

Über Member
Rucksack user here and I sweat like a dog everytime. If you're bothered about putting a rack and bags onto your good bike then think about getting a cheap hack for £50 or something and add what you want to it: rack, bags, mudguards, lights, reflectors, nice little bell perhaps ;) and hammer it in all weathers, let it get scratched, bumped, hit, covered in salty water from the road etc etc and what'll happen is that you'll fall in love with it.....

mr Mag00

rising member
having not looked are there racks that can be used without the lugs? I am looking to a new job which i hope to be able to commute and i ride with a rucksack, but may want a rack. are there options?

sorry to hijack

tyred

Legendary Member
Sometimes ride with camera, tripod and assorted lenses in a rucksack and do find it uncomfortable after a few miles.

redjedi

Über Member
I've got a Vaude rucksack with a frame that keeps it off my back. I often ride with the bag full with laptop and clothing inside, and don't really feel it once I'm off. It must be a good bag.

+1 for the Vaude. Excellent at keeping your back dry, and I hardly notice I have it on, but I only carry a heavy load on Monday when I take everything into work. The rest of the week it's almost empty

Maizie

Guru
Rack and laptop-bag-made-for-bicyle for me - don't often have to commute with the laptop though.
When I do need to use it as a laptop bag off the bike, it looks like one - but then back zips open and rolls up, hooks are there to attach to the rack, and has a bright yellow rain cover thingy too. All that and it was given to me as a gift, fab.
Does originate from Halford, though, which will put some people off :biggrin:

I use a rucksack to commute, but (a) it's only 2 miles each way, and (:rolleyes: all it has in it is my lunch (1 sandwich, 1 banana and/or apple, 1 biscuit). This is because my road bike has no eyes for rack and panniers, and the wedge bag is only big enough for lock, spare inner and few tools. I did try with a bigger Carradice bag for a while but got fed up with the way it sagged.

Laptop in a rucksack: I have tried but I find it most uncomfortable: certainly not for long distances.

I should also warn anyone with back problems - or potential back problems - to be wary of frequently carrying heavy loads in a rucksack. I think that's how I gave myself the sciatica which has been plaguing me for years...:laugh:

My son has used one of those topeak racks which fit only to the seatpost and doesn't need eyes in the frame: the sort that takes a bag that slides on; but he's had problems with those too. The first one he fitted snapped after a few weeks - despite the fact that his load was well within the recommended limit. He got a refund under warranty and replaced it with the next size up, but it was never really convenient to use.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
661-Pete said:
My son has used one of those topeak racks which fit only to the seatpost and doesn't need eyes in the frame: the sort that takes a bag that slides on; but he's had problems with those too. The first one he fitted snapped after a few weeks - despite the fact that his load was well within the recommended limit. He got a refund under warranty and replaced it with the next size up, but it was never really convenient to use.

I looked at one of those, before I went down the QR Bagman route, looked a bit suspect to me. Its a lot of load on a small area and 4 x 5mm screws!

Plus I had also read some horror stories and them breaking and falling off, which only endorsed my thoughts.

I must admit that I am really pleased with the Carradice Barley saddlebag, apart from the bottom sagging. :rolleyes:

But I have since cut a piece of lightweight plastic sheet and shaped it to fit inside, its much better now. :laugh:

AlanW said:
I must admit that I am really pleased with the Carradice Barley saddlebag, apart from the bottom sagging. :sad:

But I have since cut a piece of lightweight plastic sheet and shaped it to fit inside, its much better now. :thumbsup:
I had the Barley too, and used it for well over a year. Trouble was, with it sagging and at times touching the wheel (no mudguards) it's got a hole worn in it - and even discounting the hole, it looks really shabby now. I did think of trying the reinforcing trick like you suggest, but never got round to it.

Also it was rather fiddly to get on and off the bike. And fitting a rear lamp was problematic: it was tricky to get it to point the right way.

A shame really, because apart from the hole it was really robust and durable. And my Brooks already has the bag loops in the right place!

Top Bottom