Anyone ride with a rucksac?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Because I now have to transport a laptop to and from work, I have been forced to start riding with a "laptop" rucsac, on my back.

When I say forced, it is a cheaper option than buying panniers and rails.

But gosh, isn't it hard work!!!

I'm just glad that its only a 16 miles round trip.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
do you think it's easier on the laptop?

ACS

Legendary Member
Tried it once with a rucksack and did not like it at all. So I went down the rack and paniers route fitted to my Sirrus Sport.

I knew that I would not be carrying more than clothing, lunch, waterproofs etc I went for a cheap and cheerful black rack from Ebay and a set of panniers fron Lidi (£14).

The panners are not waterproof but a heavy duty plastic bag from Tesco provides additional protection from the elements. Use toe clip straps to secure the pannier and the job is good 'un.

I use a rucksac on my first day at work, generally take enough uniform, socks, boxers etc for my tour of duty. Then that leaves me free to cycle unhindered until the end of my tour then I transport it all back as a nice little washing pressie for Mrs AF (I wish):smile:

rh100

I started out using my rucksack, but made my back sweat too much which was no good for commuting. I have a rack and twin bags now, loads of room to carry repair kit etc and clothing and lunch etc

How about getting a cheap pannier rack from tesco, and bunjie clip the rucksack to it, cheaper than buying the pannier bags if you don't need them. Beware of the vibration on the laptop though.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i used a rucksack to commute, but on occasions when a laptop was needed, the weight was not comfortable at all.

if your bike has a rack, you can use a handy-strap to secure the rucksack to the side, pannier-style, and use the waist clips and tightening clips to secure it further.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
using a rucksack at the moment but it's a real pain :biggrin:

once Christmas is out of the way i'll be getting a rack and rack top bag :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Rack and pannier(s) here. I really dislike riding with a rucksac, however light it is.

rusky

CC Addict
Rack & panniers!

Rucksack makes your back sweat, Messenger bags are better but swing around too much.

gbb

Legendary Member
Rucksack user too, but my commute isnt that long.
I'll often have several kilos in mine...a couple bags of oranges or apples, book etc etc etc .
Its not nice in the summer...no problem in the winter

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
fossyant said:
Rucksack user here - blooming heavy with locks, but good training

Well that was my train of thought, but now I'm not sure. If anything I now think that it may even be counter productive, but don't ask me to explain my reasoning?

Deep down I know that a rack and panniers is the answer, and I know how practical and useful it will be, but it just spoils the look of the bike. :wacko:

Will the next step be Plus 4's and 35mm tyres. :rolleyes:........:rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:

It has taken me years to overcome my phobia of saddlebags, let alone thinking about fitting a rack now.

At least with my Carradice saddlebag QR Bagman support I can whip it off on a weekend, and the evening training bash.

Top Bottom