Anyone seen a wheel built with alternating black and silver spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was riding alongside a pals Bianchi with a black wheelset with the exception of 2 spokes painted white. The thought occurred that I'd never seen a wheel with alternating black and silver spokes.
Is it because it would look carp or is there any another reason?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The thought occurred that I'd never seen a wheel with alternating black and silver spokes.
Is it because it would look carp?

Yes.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You build it, we'll do the artistic criticism.

(For what it's worth, I think the wheels built with two red spokes look horrible - as if someone's done a bodged repair.)

D

Deleted member 23692

Wouldn't it mean that one side of the wheel would be white and t'other side black?

D

Deleted member 23692

The two white spokes indicate where the valve hole is. Or so I've been told.
Don't ask me why this should be necessary.:unsure:
On Easton wheels the 2 white ones are actually thicker than the rest - it's to offset the weight of the joining block in the rim, which just happens to be opposite the valve hole.

...and they are bloody annoying

winjim

Smash the cistern
The two white spokes indicate where the valve hole is. Or so I've been told.
Don't ask me why this should be necessary.:unsure:
I usually locate my valve hole by looking out for the valve that's poking through it. I've found it to be a reliable method so far.

Davidc

Guru
I usually locate my valve hole by looking out for the valve that's poking through it. I've found it to be a reliable method so far.

But how do you find it when there's no tube on the wheel? After all a hole is, by definition full of nothing, so how do you look for and find nothing when there's nothing in the hole to show you where it is?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My commuter has 2 black spokes and the rest are silver, i cannibalized an old wheel for the spokes when they broke but i reckon as they are hidden by panniers i can get away with it.

Not exactly what the OP meant, but it does prove @theclaud to be exactly right xx(

wheel36.gif

Bryony

Veteran
I saw a black specialized mountain bike for sale in cycles uk today with black spokes and 2 lime green ones! I just thought it was weird!!

Top Bottom