Anyone seen these amazing lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Quality seems to be quite good, but I wouldn't buy another until I'd used the first one for a fair while. It has for example not been rained on yet.

Compared with normal dynamo lights, an advantage or drawback is that they are easily removable. That means they are easy to share between bikes (just get extra mounts), but that you have to take them with you (expensive).
You also have to carry the case to put the removed light in. The magnets are strong enough to ruin sensitive items if they get too close, and I suspect that includes the rotor bearings inside the Magnic, though the blurb doesn't actually say so in so many words.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Quality seems to be quite good, but I wouldn't buy another until I'd used the first one for a fair while. It has for example not been rained on yet.

Compared with normal dynamo lights, an advantage or drawback is that they are easily removable. That means they are easy to share between bikes (just get extra mounts), but that you have to take them with you (expensive).
You also have to carry the case to put the removed light in. The magnets are strong enough to ruin sensitive items if they get too close, and I suspect that includes the rotor bearings inside the Magnic, though the blurb doesn't actually say so in so many words.
Hehe, can you imagine walking thru the computer suites at uni after going thru the electronic Id checker...without the covers?

Tyke

They sound like a good idea but are way to expensive for me. Back in the day before carbon forks and LED lights we had big EverReady lights mounted on the fork because anything higher the light had gone before it hit the road.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
We were banking on you knowing something about them or another US cyclist as the company are from Portland Oregon.
Sorry, I was out riding a bicycle to the hardware store, getting a paint brush, gloves, and some french burnt peanuts. I think this system, while good looking and elegant, gives me pause to think of how well they will hold up in weather, especially winter weather, when you need lights most. And American Municipalities often use salt on the roads, as well as sand and cinders. I have not seen anything on Bikeforums, but I am not in that subforum much. I use a Schwinn light, as it uses rechargeable AA cells. And I do not do a lot of night riding.
http://clevercycles.com/magnic-light-complete-set These fellows are in Portland, Ore., and seem to have both these and reelights. They mention they are not compatible with rack systems. Clever Cycles seems to be who has them here.

Davidc

Guru
So the bit I didn't know is in andrew_s posted video - it uses a very fast moving rotor with the magnets mounted on it. The implication is that the same magnets are used for power generation.

I'm not impressed by the performance review. A hub dynamo gives full output from 5 mph upwards, this flickers at 5 and only gives full output at 25 mph. I'll stick with the hub dynamo thanks!

The technology may have a future, but I'd want to see the generation and light separated, much more output at low speed, real measured performance data, and information on the rotor and its bearings (I view the fast moving rotor as potentially a very weak design point). These devices may appeal to some people, good luck to them, but as they stand I'll keep well clear thank you.

The one thing I like a lot is not having to carry power from front to rear on the bike.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The one thing I like a lot is not having to carry power from front to rear on the bike.
You'll notice I only got the rear:smile:

I figure that a front pair will give light that's not too far off comparable with a Dynohub and Cyo 60, doesn't need a wheel building, and is easily transferable between bikes. I figure some people will like them, most obviously those who wouldn't pollute their lightweight bike with a heavy dynohub.

There are two versions of the front light - one optimised to come one at lower speed, and one for more power at high speed.

Top Bottom