Anyone started their own group ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hi PaulSB the briefing and induction rides were introduced sometime after I joined . I think they were introduced because problems were occurring on club runs , some new members although fit and experienced lone cyclists had no knowledge of group discipline and techniques . So I think they include indicating hazards,explaining pace line and generally how not to P** off your club mates .
we generally ask peoples experience with group rides and their normal pac to try and fit them into a suitable group .If they have no experience of group riding its easier to fit them into a group that might be to slow for them to get them used to it and explain how we ride and hazard calls .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for the responses.
Just to be clear, I’m talking about after lockdown and when we are able to ride as a group.
People are right when they say club members organise rides on different days to the official club rides but it can be difficult to feel part of these when you don’t attend the club rides like everyone else.
ps I live in Leamington, Warwickshire
I'm not being funny, but CycleChat has a whole sub-forum dedicated to this topic... HERE.

I, like many others, usually organise lots of group 'forum' rides. Covid-19 knocked it on the head for this year, but hopefully things will get back to normal in spring 2021.

I suggest taking a look in the recreational rides forum and seeing what you can find there. There are lots of CC riders in the Midlands.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks for the responses.
Just to be clear, I’m talking about after lockdown and when we are able to ride as a group.
People are right when they say club members organise rides on different days to the official club rides but it can be difficult to feel part of these when you don’t attend the club rides like everyone else.
ps I live in Leamington, Warwickshire
I am very local.

I find the opposite - I need an early Sunday run, none of the local clubs went go early enough, so I started my own, by gathering other riders along the way and sharing a WhatsApp group with them. We now number about 10 people on a good day leaving at 7 or 7.30am on a Sunday morning. All the local clubs have rides on other days of the week, so if Sunday does not work you can try:

https://www.kenilworthwheelers.co.uk/runs/
https://www.wlrcyclingclub.co.uk/covid-19
http://www.rlscyclingclub.com/

I have been a member of a couple of these clubs and ridden with them all and assuming you can find a time that suits they are very welcoming. If you let me know what days/times you want to ride and at what speed I can suggest a suitable time. If you fancy an early Sunday run, then when we are unlocked you are more than welcome to join my unofficial rides - we average between 17-20 mph depending on the route and weather. In mid week summer time we have a short (25 mile) ride and go to the pub, this can get a bit speedy depending on how frustrated at work people get :smile:

Top Bottom