Anyone succeeded in becoming a morning person?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I also get up early at about 0500 hours but I'm rarely later than 2100 hours getting into the bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
MajorMantra said:
All ideas appreciated, just try not to lecture me about my indolent ways. :ohmy:

I think you're better off accepting the way you are. I've heard of people who have successfully converted from being night owls to morning people, but in all honesty they never really had sleeping problems in the bigger picture, they just managed to convert routine into something very different. Even if you're one of the 20% of the population that can survive on substantially less sleep your morning/afternoon/evening preference will still stay. If you don't wake up at 7am all bouncy you probably won't ever.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

ChrisKH said:
Well let me know if it's possible.

I am a morning person. My wife is a night owl. I want to go to bed at 10.30. She wants to go to bed at 12.30, etc.etc. So when I'm ready for bed, she is ready for a natter and vice versa. It does put a strain on things as there is an expectation that I will go to bed at 12.30 but I have to be up early in the morning for work. I also find I need more sleep than her generally.

Anyone else have this problem?

My parents have long had this problem and it's been a source of conflict throughout their 23 year marriage. I think it's one thing to try and change one's own sleep patterns but attempting to force someone else is never going to work.

marinyork said:
I think you're better off accepting the way you are. I've heard of people who have successfully converted from being night owls to morning people, but in all honesty they never really had sleeping problems in the bigger picture, they just managed to convert routine into something very different. Even if you're one of the 20% of the population that can survive on substantially less sleep your morning/afternoon/evening preference will still stay. If you don't wake up at 7am all bouncy you probably won't ever.

The problem with that is the fact that society/the economy is geared to operate on the basis of people getting up in the morning and going to bed at a 'sensible' time. If you're lucky enough not to have to worry about then great but most people have to get up either to study or to work.

In the spirit of attempting a conversion of sorts I've got up two mornings in a row and gone for a ride. I'm a bit knackered at the moment but I've done about 150 miles in the last 6 days so something's working.

Matthew

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm a morning person - and normally naturally wake about 6 ish, and like to be in bed by 10/10.30pm whereas Mr Summerdays by inclination probably operates a bit later than that. So I've always got up early with the kids when they were young, and now they are old enough that it wouldn't matter if they got up on their own. Looks like I have 2xme and 1 of him even though 2 are in their teens.

Baggy said she had seen more 2am's than 6am's for me definitely the opposite ... that makes me feel tired thinking about it.

Jonathan M

I became a nurse when i was 18, so 6.00am starts became very regular. I had no choice but to do these shifts, and in time I became adjusted to waking, washing & dressing, eating, on autopilot and obviously the more efficient I could be at these tasks, the more time I would be able to enjoy in bed.

Bare floorboards or a tiled floor help with the wake up process, you get up, you put bare feet on a cold floor. Wakes you up pretty promptly.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
MajorMantra said:
The problem with that is the fact that society/the economy is geared to operate on the basis of people getting up in the morning and going to bed at a 'sensible' time. If you're lucky enough not to have to worry about then great but most people have to get up either to study or to work.

In the spirit of attempting a conversion of sorts I've got up two mornings in a row and gone for a ride. I'm a bit knackered at the moment but I've done about 150 miles in the last 6 days so something's working.

I'm far from that, I'm merely expressing it from a non-morning person's point of view. I'm one of the 20% freaks that can get by on less sleep. I'm most certainly not a morning person. However that didn't stop me getting 3 hours sleep before a ride on Saturday morning. My post was really to point out that as a night owl it is really easy to pressurise yourself to conform to something that may never happen and that this can make some people deeply unhappy, some very, very depressed.

There isn't really a "problem" as you put it. The problem is that society has this silly idea that everybody has exactly 8 hours sleep, wakes up naturally bouncy and "refreshed" and then works with superhuman concentration at 9:01am. It's a myth. Sleep is a taboo subject and varies greatly. I've worked early hours and late hours with people who are morning people. There's a bit of difference but there are between every individual. Even morning people will have a bit of problem when their body clock hits in at times they don't like if there are not stimuli e.g. early afternoon.

On the topic of university lectures, I've had many a 9am Maths lecture. Again there's an expectation thing, you aren't expected to fully follow everything 100% of the time. Cycle beforehand, great idea though.

purplepolly

MajorMantra said:
My parents have long had this problem and it's been a source of conflict throughout their 23 year marriage. I think it's one thing to try and change one's own sleep patterns but attempting to force someone else is never going to work.

My parents have had a mixed sleep pattern marriage for over 40 years. Just means they get a bit of time to themselves each day.

purplepolly

marinyork said:
There isn't really a "problem" as you put it. The problem is that society has this silly idea that everybody has exactly 8 hours sleep, wakes up naturally bouncy and "refreshed" and then works with superhuman concentration at 9:01am.

By making do with 7 hours I can start work at 8am.

U

User169

marinyork said:
On the topic of university lectures, I've had many a 9am Maths lecture.

Not only did I have university maths lectures at 9 am, the swines scheduled them on saturday mornings! I had three hours of lectures on sat mornings in my first year.

purplepolly

Delftse Post said:
Not only did I have university maths lectures at 9 am, the swines scheduled them on saturday mornings! I had three hours of lectures on sat mornings in my first year.

Lazy students! When I was an english language assistant in germany we started school at 7:30am.

U

User169

purplepolly said:
Lazy students! When I was an english language assistant in germany we started school at 7:30am.

That's just rude!

Top Bottom