Anyone take bike in car to start of ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
Thinking about moving house and among the other jitters that I am getting is the fact that I will have to get to meet my cycling mates by car. At the moment I meet them about three times a week and am used to just rolling out the driveway and cycling to our meeting place about 3 minutes away. I am not committed to the move yet but it would mean sticking the bike in the car and driving for about 25 to 30 minutes, its about 18 miles or so. The new place is in a lovely rural area and is actually the area that we cycle around sometimes anyway. I am just not sure if I would get tired of putting the bike in the car or on a rack every time. On the plus side I would be straight out of the door and onto the country lanes where all the cyclists head to. I know it's not a long way to travel but is just another thing to worry about if you know what I mean.
Does anyone else begin their ride with a car journey? I would be interested to hear how you feel about it.
Thanks

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thinking about moving house and among the other jitters that I am getting is the fact that I will have to get to meet my cycling mates by car. At the moment I meet them about three times a week and am used to just rolling out the driveway and cycling to our meeting place about 3 minutes away. I am not committed to the move yet but it would mean sticking the bike in the car and driving for about 25 to 30 minutes, its about 18 miles or so. The new place is in a lovely rural area and is actually the area that we cycle around sometimes anyway. I am just not sure if I would get tired of putting the bike in the car or on a rack every time. On the plus side I would be straight out of the door and onto the country lanes where all the cyclists head to. I know it's not a long way to travel but is just another thing to worry about if you know what I mean.
Does anyone else begin their ride with a car journey? I would be interested to hear how you feel about it.
Thanks

Not often but I did today, but only because I knew I was going to be pressed for time later. It's not a big deal, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Quite often for club rides and TT's . I think if you move you will find new local friends to ride with .

iandg

Legendary Member
Our club members do it all the time. The only club on the island is based in Stornoway. People drive up to 40 miles to meet for a group run. We also have runs starting in different places - members in Stornoway would drive to Tarbert for a club ride in Harris.

iandg

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4667644, member: 9609"]virtually all my rides begin with a drive, I get bored cycling the same roads so will usually drive 10 to 20 miles away to get into different areas - I have a small van and it takes about 10 seconds to load or unload it. In the summer months when it don't need cleaned the bike is just kept in the van.

My biggest error is I get changed before I drive home, then I forget all my damp cycling clothes are in the back of the van, and they don't dry out - a few days later when I next head out I have to put these smelly damp clothes back on - yuk[/QUOTE]

This too - Pretty limited where I can go from Stornoway - so I sometimes drive to another part of the island for a ride.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Why don't you arrange to meet them halfway and then 'start' from there.

Brains

Legendary Member
I often drive or take the train to the start.

If driving the most important bit is to get a tow ball mounted rack.
They can live in the boot when not in use, that take about 30 seconds to put on the back of the car and it takes maybe a minute to put the bike on the rack.

Don't go with one of those string and wire racks that sit on the rear window as they take ages to set up and are usually illegal in any case as they block lights and number plate (with good reason, they are not sold in the rest of Europe).

Roof mounted racks are not great either as it it means lifting the bike up and down and makes a noticeable difference inside the car (and you cant drive into the car park where the ride starts)

Top Bottom