Anyone take bike in car to start of ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thinking about moving house and among the other jitters that I am getting is the fact that I will have to get to meet my cycling mates by car. At the moment I meet them about three times a week and am used to just rolling out the driveway and cycling to our meeting place about 3 minutes away. I am not committed to the move yet but it would mean sticking the bike in the car and driving for about 25 to 30 minutes, its about 18 miles or so. The new place is in a lovely rural area and is actually the area that we cycle around sometimes anyway. I am just not sure if I would get tired of putting the bike in the car or on a rack every time. On the plus side I would be straight out of the door and onto the country lanes where all the cyclists head to. I know it's not a long way to travel but is just another thing to worry about if you know what I mean.
Does anyone else begin their ride with a car journey? I would be interested to hear how you feel about it.
Thanks
I'm getting a bit fed up of the routes around my place and am thinking a lot more of driving the bike out to fresh fields.

Could you wrap a decent bike rack or perhaps even an old , biggish car into the cost of moving and just have this as a bike car. My family mpv is like a van with the seats out, I reckon when we get a new car, ill have that as a bike car (and a dump car)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Why would you drive the car and then cycle to where you were?. Just doesn't make any sense
To meet his friends at the start.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Front mudguards are a pain if you have to take the front wheel off to put the bike in the car. They always seem to get displaced. When I used to do this a lot I took the front mudguards off the bikes altogether.

I flop my bike in the back of the car sometimes - did so today - and as Newtie says the front mudguard can get bent when the front wheel is out.

Fine to do now and again for my big rides, like the forum ones.

But two or three times a week would drive me nuts.

It comes down to the old cliche about getting out on the bike - the hardest part of the journey is bed to shed.

If that journey included stashing the bike in the back of the car I doubt I would ride very often.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Front mudguards are a pain if you have to take the front wheel off to put the bike in the car. They always seem to get displaced. When I used to do this a lot I took the front mudguards off the bikes altogether.
The time before last that I saw you on a Kent coast ride, I managed to dislodge the front mudguard and, as I was running late (M2 closed because a truck had hit a bridge a few days earlier and it was mend the bridge day), I ended up with a really scratchy-rubby front wheel that I couldn't sort out until I got home. Time after that I brought the bike without guards.

Driving is a pain when social rides stop off for lunch in a pub - abstinence seems to last an eternity. Otherwise, bike in the back is fine.

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Well thanks for the response fellas.
I think I could do it a couple of times a week and maybe rearrange the Friday ride so we could meet up somewhere. Sounds do-able.
Lots of things to consider when moving house, I am often guilty of overthinking things and losing perspective. It helps to get unbiased opinions. I appreciate the comments.

U

User33236

Done it a number of times:- TT's, distant sportives, or some rides with my son. Not a problem but still not something I'd choose to do every time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="DaveyA, post: 4668100, member: 33774" I am often guilty of overthinking things and losing perspective.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about that, cycling, and in particular my Sunday morning cycling group is my main social activity.

It would be a big consideration if a house move was on the cards.

Having said that, most groups change and evolve.

It would be risky to lose the house you want just because of the group, in a few years it may not be doing the same things which you like about it now.

And you may be able to find new cycling chums closer to your new location.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Join them halfway through and extend your ride at the end. Lots of us do that.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not often 'in', but occasionally on top. As has been said, mudguards and front wheel removal makes it time consuming in a Punto!
If I'm off on a jolly somewhere though, I'll happily fit the bars and hoist my bike onto the roof.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Fairly often here. We put the bikes in the car and drive down to Bissoe and ride on the Mineral Tramways trail (road and tracks) to Portreath and then back again. Sometimes we go up to Plymouth and ride on the Drakes trail or to Bideford and the Tarka Trail. I don't ride much on roads around here, the driving standards a a smidge scary.
Hubster has been known to take me up to Wenfordbridge and I'll ride home again, especially when the wind is really bad and I don't fancy battling it but do fancy a ride.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I get a lift every morning at the start of my commute, actually now my lift has changed location it isn't really much quicker than doing that first few miles by bike but I enjoy the chat it's my hubby in the morning and it makes him leave work at the end of the day (he's the dedicated sort that can loose track of time).

We have an estate, the back seats are down and the bike goes in as it is... bike doesn't seem to get damaged (now I have educated him in the art of derailleur upwards!). Takes a couple of mins max to put it in.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I do take my wife and her bike to the start of her rides; We ride with a group from about 6 miles from home and because we have a young daughter we have to alternate the riding and child minding... for me, another 12 miles on top of the group ride isn't a big thing but the Mrs is only starting out so it's more significant for her. I got a Halfords bike rack which sits the bike quite high up on the tailgate, it's ideal for this. Quick and easy to fit too after you've done it once.

Top Bottom