Anyone thought of trying to claim back the actual holiday insurance money (as the holiday never took place)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just been googling this but can't find any information.
I will phone the insurance company tomorrow but a bit of advance knowledge may help eg.............................
I booked the holiday and I also paid for the full insurance @£83.00.
I have been advised that I will get a full holiday refund which is just over £2K but that is because Jet2 more or less have to repay it so................in effect the insurance company have got £83 and done virtually nothing for it.
Maybe £83 less admin charges ???
Any thoughts ??

vickster

Legendary Member
Just ask whoever sold you the insurance :smile: (read the Ts & Cs first though)

Cant imagine you'll get far? You've bought an insurance product but not used it (it would have covered you from the time you took it out). Why would it be their problem?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cant imagine you'll get far? You've bought an insurance product but not used it (it would have covered you from the time you took it out). Why would it be their problem?
I don't expect to get very far either but its £83 and worth a phone call.

dodgy

Just been googling this but can't find any information.
I will phone the insurance company tomorrow but a bit of advance knowledge may help eg.............................
I booked the holiday and I also paid for the full insurance @£83.00.
I have been advised that I will get a full holiday refund which is just over £2K but that is because Jet2 more or less have to repay it so................in effect the insurance company have got £83 and done virtually nothing for it.
Maybe £83 less admin charges ???
Any thoughts ??
Why don't you do all the legwork and negotiate the refund from Jetblue, once successful call the insurers and tell them of your tremendous success and demand a refund for services not used?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Most insurance policies are never used, that‘s how it works. You don’t get your money back on a car insurance policy if you don’t make a claim. Using that analogy, what you do get with car insurance is a pro rata refund (less fees) of any outstanding policy when you sell your car. In this case the insurance you bought was active the moment you bought it, so it wasn’t doing nothing, it was sitting in the background covering you for any situations that may have led to a cancellation (CV-19 notwithstanding). So at best you may be able to claim back for the period of time from now to the now-cancelled holiday, but the Ts and Cs will reveal the likelihood of that.

My father in-law managed to get a refund on insurance on a cruise the cruise line cancelled due to coronavirus. It must have taken at least 20 phones call and many hours on hold bouncing between the travel agency, the cruise line, the insurance company, his credit card and bank, all of which would direct him to someone else. I think he just wore them down.

brucers

Guru
Don't ask, don't get. We had to cancel a non refundable hotel booking due to my lady being hospitalised. I phoned them and explained. The company refunded half, even though, under the t & c's, they were well within their rights to say no. Ring them, you never know.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@vickster letting you know.....I have just been refunded 50% of our travel insurance. Due to our age the full cost was £80.00 so £40 is not to be sniffed at.
Just to be cheeky I asked "why only 50%" and (as I expected) was advised it was because they had been covering us since February.
So..... 100% (£2K) of the holiday and 50% of the insurance back.
We would obviously both prefer this virus had never happened and we had been in Majorca but our hearts are with those not as fortunate as us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom