Anyone tried to buy a new bike recently.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I bought a Trek about 7 weeks ago from Pedalworks in Dunstable... the size and colour I wanted said "in stock" so I phoned them and bought it. It turned out it was "warehouse stock" so I still had to wait about 6 days for it to be delivered, but still, I got what I was after.

I'm not convinced of this flood of bikes back onto the market that people are predicting. I don't believe that people buy a brand new bike and then realise shortly afterwards that they're lazy and that they are happy to sell at a big loss. I think people who stop do convince themselves (for really quite a long time) that they will get back on their bike one day, just not quite yet.... so the garage queens will sit in there for a long time yet. Perhaps a couple of years or more. Maybe people in flats with storage issues might sell sooner, but many won't.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I reckon 12 or 18 months time, Gumtree and Ebay will be swamped with second hand rarely used bikes of all shapes and sizes as folk have went crazy during lockdown and most will revert back to form once all restrictions are lifted.
Yeah, I reckon this is going to cause enormous stagnation in the new market as well; I hope the bike shops are squirreling away some of their current profits for the incoming rainy days..

I ordered a new Trek Madone over a month ago, 45 day process, should get it in the next fortnight. Not sure if that is normal for that model but if I was taller, I could have got a really good deal on last year's model that's been in the Trek Dealer LBS for awhile now. Both my nearest LBS's seem to have decent stock but, yeah, if you need to order, it might be a wait here too.

Over here we haven't seen any noticeable take up of cycling due to the current situation. The bike shops were only closed for a week or two as it was before being deemed essential and during that time they did home collection and delivery anyway. From what they tell me, it has been 'normal' really on the service and sales side but where they are losing is tourism and the associated rentals and guided tours.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I reckon 12 or 18 months time, Gumtree and Ebay will be swamped with second hand rarely used bikes of all shapes and sizes as folk have went crazy during lockdown and most will revert back to form once all restrictions are lifted.
Either that, or we'll be on to the second or third wave of Covid 19, and even stricter lockdown conditions. Yes, I'm a pessimist, it prevents me from getting disappointed!

Gunk

Guru
I popped into Beeline on the Cowley Road in Oxford earlier today, they’re a Specialized main dealer and the shop was stripped of stock, there was a handful of bikes left.

Top Bottom