Anyone understand all the TV specification gobbledegook

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Had to go into the office today & called at Costco on the way home, as we walked in they had some Samsung UE75TU8000KXXU 75 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV TV'S for sale at £899.98 delivered which sort of started us thinking again. Currently we have a LG 43" which we've had for quite a while, it works fine if a little dark sometimes, even if you set the brightness & contrast it always seems to go dark.

So tried to see whether it was a good price, good specification etc. but then disappeared down a rabbit hole I didn't understand, each manufacturer seems to call everything a slightly different name so I have no idea if I'm comparing like for like. They all seem to mention 4K, but then some have LED, some Nanocell, some OLED & finally QLED.

Do we have any knowledgeable people here who understand it all, only requirements is it must have FreeSat, must have a physical network port, (I don't like WiFi) between 65 & 75 inch all within a £1200 budget, what's the best available.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Had to go into the office today & called at Costco on the way home, as we walked in they had some Samsung UE75TU8000KXXU 75 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV TV'S for sale at £899.98 delivered which sort of started us thinking again. Currently we have a LG 43" which we've had for quite a while, it works fine if a little dark sometimes, even if you set the brightness & contrast it always seems to go dark.

So tried to see whether it was a good price, good specification etc. but then disappeared down a rabbit hole I didn't understand, each manufacturer seems to call everything a slightly different name so I have no idea if I'm comparing like for like. They all seem to mention 4K, but then some have LED, some Nanocell, some OLED & finally QLED.

Do we have any knowledgeable people here who understand it all, only requirements is it must have FreeSat, must have a physical network port, (I don't like WiFi) between 65 & 75 inch all within a £1200 budget, what's the best available.
You post got me confused, let alone tech. specifications :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
75", blimey. Bloody good price for the size though, and at that UHD is a good option, but still not lots of stuff available. OLED/QLED are brighter technology from what I know, and nanocell, similar - small LED's - all much of a muchness but will be 'better' than standard LED.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to AV Forums and post there, you’ll get all the answers you’ll ever need on any TV

QLED is just marketing for a higher end LCD. Nothing like OLED tech at all

have a read herehttps://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2020-2021-edition.2325951/

just don’t buy from Currys...it’s akin to buying a high end bike from Halfords...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Go to AV Forums and post there, you’ll get all the answers you’ll ever need on any TV

just don’t buy from Currys...it’s akin to buying a high end bike from Halfords...
I forgot about them, long time since I was over there, our last 3-4 TV's have all been bought from Richer Sounds, we'll probably go back there, but it's all too confusing,

vickster

Legendary Member
I forgot about them, long time since I was over there, our last 3-4 TV's have all been bought from Richer Sounds, we'll probably go back there, but it's all too confusing,
Added a link

A £700 75’’ TV will not display HDR properly

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

We've got a 43" LG too. It's so blooming Smart that it didn't come with a manual. I still don't know how to adjust the brightness or contrast........and why doesn't it have a headphone socket??????????

Grump.

D

Deleted member 1258

Looks like I'll have fun the next time we need to buy a new TV, our Toshiba is a 40 inch and over 10 year old but is still going strong. Where I confused myself was looking at LED bulbs, struth! Talk about confusing gobbledygook, all I want to know is will it be bright enough and will it fit.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Looks like I'll have fun the next time we need to buy a new TV, our Toshiba is a 40 inch and over 10 year old but is still going strong. Where I confused myself was looking at LED bulbs, struth! Talk about confusing gobbledygook, all I want to know is will it be bright enough and will it fit.
Top Tip: the lower the "colour temperature" (measured in K), the warmer the light will look, ie more like conventional filament bulbs and candlelight.

Edit: avoid bulbs with a high colour temperature unless you want your home to be lit like an autopsy room.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Top Tip: the lower the "colour temperature" (measured in K), the warmer the light will look, ie more like conventional filament bulbs and candlelight.

Edit: avoid bulbs with a high colour temperature unless you want your home to be lit like an autopsy room.

Thank you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My (now late :sad:) best mate bought a big Samsung smart TV when they first came out. I went to visit and we watched a few programmes together. A strange feeling of unease came over me. I couldn't quite work out what the problem was.

Some time after that I bought a smaller version of the same set, and I had the same creepy sensation from that. I delved into all of the settings and found one related to 'motion smoothing'. It turns out that these TVs include some clever electronics that makes up frames to put in between the frames that actually exist in the original broadcast. The intention is to make the picture less juddery. What it actually does is to make everything unnaturally smooth. People move like characters in The (original creepy) Stepford Wives or Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Nobody moves like real people do.

So... Top Tip #2: If you notice something similar on your TV set, Turn Smoothing Down or Turn Smoothing Off!

Top Bottom