Anyone use Broadband with out a phone line ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Not that you I’m aware of, fibre connection to the green box at the end of the street?
We’ve not had anything Piped into the house in the 6 years I’ve been here.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I have had virgin Broadband for 12 years as no phone line was required but their service lately in this area has become a real pain in the butt, It keeps dropping out and going really slow , I've tried to contact Them multiple times with no success with one phone call lasting an hour (bare in mind I only have 50 minutes on my mobile bundle and never use more than 10 mins of it) Then on top of this poor service they try to hike the bill by another £3.50 so I intend to cancel it, As soon as I tell them this they pass me on to someone else and the phone line goes dead ! I can honestly say their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. Looking online there seems to be many others who think this. So it looks like the best way to do this is to cancel the direct debit and go with someone else I may have to get a phone line installed for the broadband.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just don’t go with BT who are awful and expensive. I went back to Virgin after 6 months of BT not working much!

simonali

Guru
I tried to have the phone line taken off a fibre broadband package with BT and it was going to be more expensive than keeping it.

You still have the phone line with BT Infinity, as they only have fibre to the box down the road and copper wire (the line) to your house.

midlife

Guru
You still have the phone line with BT Infinity, as they only have fibre to the box down the road and copper wire (the line) to your house.

That's what I've got (fibre to the cabinet). I assume I have to pay line rental for the remaining coper wire?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I switched just last month, nowadays line rental seems to be bundled in. I pay £23 a month for 38 mb speed, but got £75 cash back. I have a landline, but have not even plugged a phone in. That was with NOW TV.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I tried to have the phone line taken off a fibre broadband package with BT and it was going to be more expensive than keeping it.
In fact, the fibre comes right to the house, not to a nearby cabinet. That type of installation is quite rare but they do exist.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But it was on ITV 4 for no internets used...
I was illustrating how much data gets gobbled up by video streaming, NOT suggesting where to watch the TdF! :okay:

Point of order - at the time, I couldn't receive ITV4 anyway because my local transmitter was 'Freeview Lite' which at that time did not broadcast it. (It finally got added in 2015.)

simonali

Guru
Oh, Tour de France 2013. Why didn't you say so?! :rolleyes:

Eurosport don't even do HD streaming now, so I very much doubt they did back then. You must've been watching it all day to use that much data.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, Tour de France 2013. Why didn't you say so?! :rolleyes:

Eurosport don't even do HD streaming now, so I very much doubt they did back then. You must've been watching it all day to use that much data.
I had it on in the background for hours at a time.

Their streaming quality was good at one time, then became very poor, and now it is pretty good again on my phone. It definitely isn't full HD but I'd guess it is 720p?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I tried and failed to do this, it must be the only thing making money for BT.

At some point it has to be taken away.

simonali

Guru
I can walk about 30 seconds from my house and stand outside another house that is able to have Virgin fibre broadband, yet they can't tell me when I can have it at mine, if ever!

Top Bottom