Anyone use Broadband with out a phone line ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
I had it on in the background for hours at a time.

Their streaming quality was good at one time, then became very poor, and now it is pretty good again on my phone. It definitely isn't full HD but I'd guess it is 720p?

I tried Eurosport when they had an offer on of £19.99 for a whole year. Even at that price I felt ripped off it was so poor. Terrible picture and the Chromecasting was abysmal. The sound and picture continued on the mobile device but was out of sync with the TV. I had to put it on, start casting and then put the mobile in another room so I couldn't hear it. When they geofenced it as well it had to be binned.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Saw the title, and opened the thread to say we have Virgin broadband, with no phone, but I don't think that helps the situation...!

I was gonna say the same that we have Virgin media and no phone line.
Although I have not had any trouble getting in touch with them (no more than any other company)

I've got a 100mb cable connection with Virgin, no phone or TV package. I think you need the phone line for the first year with Virgin before you can bin it.

I've never ever had a phone with Virgin, although I have just transferred the account between the last 6 houses I've lived in.
How did you guys manage not to have a landline?
I've been with Virgin for 20 years, across 2 houses, don't have a TV or a fixed phone, still they insist on me having (and paying!) for this landline.
I pay around 130 a year (lump sum discount) for a landline I don't use, Virgin keep keep saying that the broadband would be more expensive without landline.
I am happy with the service, had to get rid of their email though, as it was getting impossible to log in to check it.
I think my broadband is £ 22 monthly.

Good morning,

I have a 15GB wifi dongle from 3 at about £15 per month, no fibre or telephone and only I use it.

As far as I am aware there are no unlimited packages, the 40GB per month mentioned is pretty much the limit, I think I may have seen 50GB a while back.

It is 3g and realistically download speed ranges from 10mb/s down to 1.5mb/s depending on how busy the network is.

I don't watch TV or stream music and most months I get through about 10GB, whenever Windows updates come out it usually goes over the limit and gives me a bill!

The dongle is wireless and up to 5 devices can connect to it, the big plus for me is that I can take it with me along with a tablet and have plenty of internet access on the train.

I would only recommend it for light use or when taking the internet allowance with you as you travel is important, remote desk-topping with it is horrible.

Bye

Ian

vickster

Legendary Member
I've been with Virgin for 20 years, across 2 houses, don't have a TV or a fixed phone, still they insist on me having (and paying!) for this landline.
I pay around 130 a year (lump sum discount) for a landline I don't use, Virgin keep keep saying that the broadband would be more expensive without landline.
I am happy with the service, had to get rid of their email though, as it was getting impossible to log in to check it.
It'll cost you nearly as much if not more...
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html

Lozz360

Veteran
I moved into the house I am currently in, four years ago. Decided I didn’t need a land line, which is a decision I’ve never regretted. I got Virgin Media to provide broadband only and have been with them ever since. However, I pay about £31 per month for this service so I am not really making the savings I thought I would by ditching the landline.

D

Deleted member 26715

Living outside of the UK all this 'landline' business sounds a bit odd. Are you sure you (all) aren't being taken for a ride?
Yes we are all being taken for a ride by Ofcom the UK Telecom's regulator

Syd

I’m lucky to be in a building served by a company called Hyperoptic and have their broadband without a phone line.

They do fibre to the building and the phone is VOIP if you get it. As a result they are one of the few companies that charge less of you don’t want a phone

Brains

Legendary Member
How does the wireless broadband work ?
Do you have to fit a dish of some sort ?

We have a Scout hut, at one of the highest points of London, yet 100m from the main road (and on the wrong side of the road for any sort of cable)
We have been looking at Wi-Fi options, it would be low occasional use, so I'm thinking in terms of a one off (or annual) payment, we can't justify £20 a month.

Despite being at one of the highest points in London, and numerous masts for Phones, TV and Radio within 100m, the entire top of the hill area has deradful mobile phone coverage from all networks.

What are my (cheap) options ?

Good morning

The dongle is effectively a mobile phone without a keypad or display.

Some allow for an external aerial in theory, but in practice you won't be able to buy one, so it just like a mobile phone.

My one allows you to connect 1 device to it via USB or 5 devices via WiFi.

Just to stress the WiFi connected devices are connecting to the dongle via WiFi and the dongle then passes the data via the normal 3G/4G network.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom