Anyone use Thunderbird mail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm trying to get a newly installed Thunderbird on this new HHD and Windows 7 to import previous mail/setings etc. The import wizard doesn't see the old TB folder...

My previous copy is on the old HDD (in enclosure) attached as a USB external drive.

Any ideas?

Andy

Carwash

Señor Member
Try manually copying your profile over?
http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Profiles

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
Try manually copying your profile over?
http://support.mozil...-US/kb/Profiles

Thanks. I found the only two files in the older thunderbird profiles folder, copied them over to the new prolies folder (restart etc), and... nothing.

I actually want to move everything, created folders, old mail, profiles etc... I have also no idea where all the old mail is stored either.

Bit disapointing really, thought TB would handle this better with the wizard...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Mozbackup will restore all your settings.

For mail, I strongly recommend switching from POP3 to IMAP. That way, all your mail is stored on both your PC and the server, and when you delete mail, read it, move it to another folder, etc, etc, that change is automatically mirrored on the server. Restoring your mail is then as easy as reinstalling Thunderbird and connecting.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru

For mail, I strongly recommend switching from POP3 to IMAP. That way, all your mail is stored on both your PC and the server, and when you delete mail, read it, move it to another folder, etc, etc, that change is automatically mirrored on the server. Restoring your mail is then as easy as reinstalling Thunderbird and connecting.

Thanks, I've now tried Mozbackup and it wants a 'backup' file which I can't find, I was hoping it might simply find what was necessary - it should all be there.

I have a copy of all my googlemail mail (main account) sent to my talktalk email account server (which I don't use as an email address). On my old XP HDD, thunderbird used to download a copy of all the mail from talktalk, and leave a copy on that server.

But the thunderbird on old hard drive, also has backup of old virgin.net mail which I would like.

the_mikey

Legendary Member

+1 very good idea, don't bother with pop3 account if you have webmail unless you absolutely have to.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
+1 very good idea, don't bother with pop3 account if you have webmail unless you absolutely have to.

I'll have a look at the IMAP

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've just installed Thunderbird. Someone said I could make a folder off the hard drive wherever I wish. In this case I wanted to dump old emails onto my external hard drive. But, like Outlook Express, it doesn't want to make a new folder anywhere but in the "Local Folders" tree. So can I make a new folder on my external hard drive or not?

The other thing I found disappointing with Thunderbird is that I can't send stuff from my hotmail account and my tiscali account independantly, only from my tiscali account. I can send from both with OE tho'.

So unless there is a way to set up external folders with Thunderbird I'm off back to OE.

Bird Brain

Dunno I don't get the problem because I must be a bit dumb. :whistle:

I do quite like TB as it's easier to back up than OE.

As I said I back up the lot by zipping the data folder. :wacko:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
The other thing I found disappointing with Thunderbird is that I can't send stuff from my hotmail account and my tiscali account independantly, only from my tiscali account. I can send from both with OE tho'.

Not too sure what you mean here as accounts can be configured completely independently of each other. There is a default global smtp server setting but if you add another one to the global list, there is a setting in each account to choose which one to use.

John

[edit] Confusingly, the smtp choice setting is not under Server Settings for each account but within the settings that appear when you click on the account name immediately above the Server Settings menu.

[further edit] When you click on Write it does always default to one account but in the big "from" bar near the top of the screen, you can choose which account you are sending from using the drop down menu arrow.

Top Bottom