Anyone used to have a British Eagle bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David9694

I did, years ago. I loved it. Spent all my time on it, cleaned it all the time, looked after it well.

Then my parents binned it when they moved and I went to Uni.

So, as you do, Im thinking about if i could buy one like it... you know, for fun. The problem is I dont have a clue what it was called. I know it was a BE bike, it as black all over and it had yellow lettering on the top tube that was something like "ZX" or "XX". 21 gear Shimano STi, rigid (as they all where back then) and had a single water-bottle holder placement.

Anyone out there know about old BE bikes? Vague I know...

I've got a 1987-bought frameset - it was a British Eagle Supreme. I had it re-sprayed a nice glossy red in 2002 (in memory of my Raleigh Clubman) and added some braze-on refinements. 531 main tubes and 501 forks as I recall it. I never bothered with any decals after the re-spray.

At the moment it's a bit of a mongrel, having received a lot of OE from two other upgraded bikes - yet I'm embarrassed about how well it rides, especially with the Bontrager wheels from my old Lemond Tourmalet.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Congratulations @David9694 you have revived a three year old thread. On here you get points for that, and what do points mean?

Interesting to read about your BE though.

wisdom

Guru
Am i right in thinking that the new guise of british eagle bikes are tat.Where as the older bikes were properly made with good components.
Reason for asking is someone at work is selling one its a hybrid type and he is asking for £120.00.The components seem crappy and made of cheese.I wasn't looking for myself but was curious.

Last edited:

flashspix

Picked up this British Eagle Kinetic 500EX tonight, has some really nice components, will be fettling her back to full health soon.

p1942196017-4.jpg

p1888979434-3.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
IMG_20160518_094603.jpg
IMG_20160518_094624.jpg

This is my Touristique. I've lost count of the miles I must have done on it over the years.

RobbieLyons

Picked up this British Eagle Kinetic 500EX tonight, has some really nice components, will be fettling her back to full health soon.

p1942196017-4.jpg

p1888979434-3.jpg
I bought one brand new from a friend of mine that owned a bike shop, have it in the garage for years, changed handle bars to straight for years but decided today to put original bars back on it, all original wheels, cassette and crank set!!
Just bought new handle

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a Touristique since 1992. Mainly used for shorter/long day rides/Audax, or commuting.

36H Rigida Sputnik rims/ 28mm Paselas

A few years ago with 8-speed: The campag victory triple was put on from new.

21551556476_037fa360f1_k_d.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25983110@N05/21551556476/

Now in 10 spd... I had chain jamming problems with a new 'custom' triple chainset, so opted for the 105 in the end, which isn't as good looking, but works very well... 30t small ring swapped for a Stronglight 26t.

35815200675_a85473c3e0_k_d.jpg

Weight is around 12kg unladen, and 14kg-ish with kit on, including 1L water.

Last edited:
I just did a bit of research and it seems as though they were originally built in the old Phillips cycle factory in Powys Wales. I think Ernie Clements may have had some involvement in the factory. The Touristique was built from Reynolds 531.
My daughter had a mountain bike style one in dark green which she gave to her boyfriend.

tornandfrayed

This is my British Eagle Randonee built in Newtown Wales and originally purchased from Allin Cycles of Croydon in 1989 for £395 I bought it a few years ago from a work colleague for £120. I believe British Eagle was set up by Coventry Eagle workers after they were taken over by Falcon back in the 1980's. They moved to Powys to take advantage of some government grants that were available at the time. I think Barry Hoban was also involved in the company.

AF1QipPTqwSXwamc8YKhFemtd5eh_j5c_nCR0lR472lY
MiltYkOVdmSvpJbP2

Frame Reynolds 531
Forks Reynolds 501
Wheels Rigida 700C rims Maillard Hub
Front gear Suntour GX
Rear gear Suntour XCM Accushift 3040
Saddle Brooks B17
Handlebars Ubri
Brakes Shimano Brat 50

Apologies can't upload the photo!

Seleucid

Regular
I have a British Eagle Task MTB, given to me by a gentleman in his 80s who had given up cycling. A good clean, two inner tubes and two tyres later it was back on the road. Reynolds tubing with proper lugs. Frame at least is worth keeping.

David9694

D227819C-34CB-42A5-9B79-752A4429F7A3.jpeg
I've got a 1987-bought frameset - it was a British Eagle Supreme. I had it re-sprayed a nice glossy red in 2002 (in memory of my Raleigh Clubman) and added some braze-on refinements. 531 main tubes and 501 forks as I recall it. I never bothered with any decals after the re-spray.

At the moment it's a bit of a mongrel, having received a lot of OE from two other upgraded bikes - yet I'm embarrassed about how well it rides, especially with the Bontrager wheels from my old Lemond Tourmalet.

Prizes! ( read the response to when I reprised this thread in 2014.)

So the mongrel got sold in a cycle auction a few years back.
I recently needed a station/ work hack that wouldn’t attract attention and now have a British Eagle Crusader.

531 CS frame / forks, as is the norm
Pleasing blue metallic finish - (decals that I can’t see direct replacements for)
Canti’ brakes - Modolo - original?
Mavic Module 3 rims
10 speed indexed system - not sure if the levers are original
All the contact-points have been replaced

Pedeler

I still have a British Eagle mtb, 531 diamond frame,first generation mtb.Still has original Shimano Diore gears and Biopace chainset. Bought in 1987, ridden countless miles including a tour around New Zealand in 1992. Still going strong on original wheels. Great well made bike.

Top Bottom