Anyone used Valspar emulsion from B&Q?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I almost spent nearly £40 on a tub of emulsion today... but faffed about with another job instead. Then had a brew and thought I'd look at some reviews for Valspar paint. There's non at all on the B&Q website and it's getting absolutely slated on Trustpilot.

Thing is, I'm struggling to find the specific shade I'm after and Valspar is the only one I've found that comes close... any one used their emulsion and what were your experiences?

TIA :smile:

U

User6179

Cant comment on the emulsion but I used the Valspar gloss on a door, it was whiter before I painted it !

kiwifruit

Über Member
I almost spent nearly £40 on a tub of emulsion today... but faffed about with another job instead. Then had a brew and thought I'd look at some reviews for Valspar paint. There's non at all on the B&Q website and it's getting absolutely slated on Trustpilot.

Thing is, I'm struggling to find the specific shade I'm after and Valspar is the only one I've found that comes close... any one used their emulsion and what were your experiences?

TIA :smile:
Johnstones Trade Paint can match Valspar colours.

screenman

Legendary Member
4 coats of white needed to cover a white wall in a uniform coat, smelt like cats P for a couple of months afterwards, we did it 3 months ago and the smell is only just going, certainly would not have wanted to use the room before now. I know what I am doing with paint so it was not something I was doing wrong. Get around to the Dulux trade centre and buy the stuff they sell there, you will not get the same stuff in a retail warehouse.

Or Johnstons as Kiwi says just make sure it is not from a retail warehouse.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The little I know about paint formulation tells me that you can make a very very cheap paint out of fillers and thickeners but very little of the materials like titanium dioxide, which cost money. The quite a lot I know about using that paint is that it's shite and you will need 3 to 5 coats to get any coverage. It may look cheap but that's a false economy and you're better off buying a quality paint from Little Greene or F&B which will do the job with one or maximum two coats. Even if the cost works out identical pro-rata, how much value can you put on your own time? Good paint is a revelation and you can add 10% water without harm. Johnstone paints are almost as good as Little Greene or Farrow & Ball for quite a bit less cost.

Or yes, Dulux Trade is also better than the stuff you'll get in the sheds.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The little I know about paint formulation tells me that you can make a very very cheap paint out of fillers and thickeners but very little of the materials like titanium dioxide, which cost money. The quite a lot I know about using that paint is that it's shite and you will need 3 to 5 coats to get any coverage. It may look cheap but that's a false economy and you're better off buying a quality paint from Little Greene or F&B which will do the job with one or maximum two coats. Even if the cost works out identical pro-rata, how much value can you put on your own time? Good paint is a revelation and you can add 10% water without harm. Johnstone paints are almost as good as Little Greene or Farrow & Ball for quite a bit less cost.

Or yes, Dulux Trade is also better than the stuff you'll get in the sheds.

At £38 for 5 litres... Valspar paint looks anything but cheap!

Thanks for the replies guys... I'll have a look into Johnstones... or keep searching for something close to what I'm after from a more reputable manufacturer.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
At £38 for 5 litres... Valspar paint looks anything but cheap!

Thanks for the replies guys... I'll have a look into Johnstones... or keep searching for something close to what I'm after from a more reputable manufacturer.
I used Johnstones anti mould emulsion on the bathroom ceiling three years ago. Still looks good as new now and not a trace of mould anywhere which used to need cleaning off every six months as I live in a damp area.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Any trade paint will be better than retail and there will almost certainly be a trade centre near you. I used to work for PPG (Johnstones and Leyland) so I'm biased but Dulux and Crown trade paints are good too.

They'll colour match too - take a sample or even a photograph and they'll match anything.

Trade paint covers better because for professional painters, time is money.

postman

Legendary Member
Thank you all.I too will be decorating this year.The price of paint nearly made me faint.Thanks for the tip about Johnstones,we have a trade store near us.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Any trade paint will be better than retail and there will almost certainly be a trade centre near you. I used to work for PPG (Johnstones and Leyland) so I'm biased but Dulux and Crown trade paints are good too.

They'll colour match too - take a sample or even a photograph and they'll match anything.

Trade paint covers better because for professional painters, time is money.
Just don't buy the cheap tubs that have 'Trade Paint' written on them.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dulux Decorator Centres are excellent. They sell good quality stuff and the staff are friendly, knowledgeable and experienced.

On prices, during 2018 the entire chemicals industry was hit by a "perfect storm" of various factors, which conspired to increase prices massively. In my own industry the effect was an increase of 45% in raw material costs, which we had to pass on to customers or we would have gone bust. The last time it happened was in 2011. Prices will never revert to pre-crisis levels. Last year was the most stressful I've experienced in 35 years of work; I can't wait to retire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom