Anyone used Valspar emulsion from B&Q?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
got a can the other week just to re-coat a ceiling , the ceiling wasnt bad i and i didnt really think it needed doing
as soon as i opened it i knew it was going to be tat , just thicker than water :sad: had to give the ceiling 3 coats before i was happy - and that was just white over white , dont think it would ever cover another colour

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
For the avoidance of doubt -

Good emulsion -

paint1.jpg
paint2.jpg
paint3.png
paint4.jpg

Bad Paint -

paint5.jpg
paint6.jpg
paint7.jpg

Absolute rubbish -

berger.jpg
paint8.jpg

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just don't buy the cheap tubs that have 'Trade Paint' written on them.

Now I'm getting confused. :wacko:

[edit] ...or, are you (@raleighnut) referring to products such as B&M Trade Paint??? rather than branded stuff such as Dulux, Johnstones, etc.

Another edit... I'm also noticing that 'trade' paints don't seem to be available in a wide range of colours... and i'm after a very specific shade of incredibly pale blue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

My dad was a painter and decorator back in the 70's and he used to mix his own colours from white emulsion, I guess the same dyes are available today?
A few people have suggested that but the blue i'm after is very very pale. The blue I put on my kitchen splash backs a couple of year back looked white in the tin, in fact it only looked blue when i put it against a white wall... and that blue is about ten times bluer than I'm after for my sitting room.

Joey Shabadoo

Now I'm getting confused. :wacko:

[edit] ...or, are you (@raleighnut) referring to products such as B&M Trade Paint??? rather than branded stuff such as Dulux, Johnstones, etc.

Another edit... I'm also noticing that 'trade' paints don't seem to be available in a wide range of colours... and i'm after a very specific shade of incredibly pale blue.

You only really buy trade paint in white or a colour specifically mixed for you. This saves the decorator centres having to carry hundreds of shades, instead they carry "bases" ready for the pigments to be added. My living room is painted with Johnstone's Covaplus Matt tinted to a shade from a Crown colour card.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was given some and was underwhelmed. It ways ok, went on the walls but I felt that the coverage was not as good as B&Q own brand.
Could have just been my walls, but I wouldn’t bother actually buying it.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

You only really buy trade paint in white or a colour specifically mixed for you. This saves the decorator centres having to carry hundreds of shades, instead they carry "bases" ready for the pigments to be added. My living room is painted with Johnstone's Covaplus Matt tinted to a shade from a Crown colour card.
thanks for that :smile:

Joey Shabadoo

My dad was a painter and decorator back in the 70's and he used to mix his own colours from white emulsion, I guess the same dyes are available today?

That's fine for one-off jobs but it would be very difficult for him to exactly replicate that when it comes to touching up or re-decorating.

Joey Shabadoo

My favourite decorator story - a very posh woman had chosen a Farrow and Ball paint for her very large house and retreated to her country residence whilst the painter who had put in the lowest quote got on with it. He took the Farrow and Ball shade card to a decorator centre and had them match it - using a very cheap emulsion about 1/10th the cost of Farrow and Ball. When he used it of course, it didn't match what the client wanted so he changed all the light bulbs in the house to a lower wattage. Client came back, was delighted and paid up.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I was given some and was underwhelmed. It ways ok, went on the walls but I felt that the coverage was not as good as B&Q own brand.
Could have just been my walls, but I wouldn’t bother actually buying it.
That's why I'm worried about buying something crap... my walls are filthy, even after a thorough scrubbing with sugar soap. I need something that will cover what looks like a pub wall before the smoking ban.

Top Bottom