Anyone used Valspar emulsion from B&Q?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Well that was a fruitless trip out to Brewer's... the cost of a 5ltr tub was only fiver more than a 2.5ltr tub, so there's no way I'm getting 2x 2.5ltrs and I can't carry a single five litre tub on the bike :sad: ...I need to phone a friend with a car.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why has paint become so expensive? I'm sure I paid around £15 for 10 litres of vinyl silk emulsion 18 months ago. Now it's around £40 for 10 litres of the well known brands! I bought some Wilko own brand stuff today for £15.
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-magnolia-silk-emulsion-paint-5l/p/2426443
It was reduced from £20. I could've bought 10 litres of the stuff for £25,but this'll be enough. I'd probably have bought the 'expensive' stuff if i'd been doing whole rooms,but it's only needed to paint over the cracks and flakey bits in my bathroom and kitchen caused by condensation.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@MontyVeda I hate to add to your decision making but I have used Valspar purchased in our local B&Q. As an ordinary DIYer I happily recommend it to you. As my wife choses very specific shades I keep a record of what we used where and when. Over the last five years:

Farrow and Ball on walls and to paint a full room width pine fitted wardrobe, furniture and doors. The walls using Estate emulsion, the pine cupboard, doors and furniture in Estate eggshell.

The Estate eggshell was superb while my recollection of the emulsion is mainly it had poor coverage.

Valspar Premium emulsion in the living and dining rooms, kitchen and bathroom paint as appropriate, spare bedroom in Valspar emulsion and front and back doors in Valspar exterior gloss.

In my opinion Valspar is an excellent paint, easy to apply and gives decent coverage. This especially applies to emulsions. I'm happy to recommend it.

I agree the Dulux Decorator Centres give great advice. Most recently on how to successfully over paint pine fitted wardrobes.

I would not go near Dulux or Crown retail paints.

irw

Quadricyclist
@MontyVeda I hate to add to your decision making but I have used Valspar purchased in our local B&Q. As an ordinary DIYer I happily recommend it to you. As my wife choses very specific shades I keep a record of what we used where and when. Over the last five years:

Farrow and Ball on walls and to paint a full room width pine fitted wardrobe, furniture and doors. The walls using Estate emulsion, the pine cupboard, doors and furniture in Estate eggshell.

The Estate eggshell was superb while my recollection of the emulsion is mainly it had poor coverage.

Valspar Premium emulsion in the living and dining rooms, kitchen and bathroom paint as appropriate, spare bedroom in Valspar emulsion and front and back doors in Valspar exterior gloss.

In my opinion Valspar is an excellent paint, easy to apply and gives decent coverage. This especially applies to emulsions. I'm happy to recommend it.

I agree the Dulux Decorator Centres give great advice. Most recently on how to successfully over paint pine fitted wardrobes.

I would not go near Dulux or Crown retail paints.

What he said. (Although I happily use dulux if I want a decent white!)

I was a bit surprised to see all the Valspar/B&Q bashing- I’ve used the B&Q colours (now Valspar I think) range for our kitchen/bedrooms over the last couple of years, and certainly have no complaints...!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It's what you get used to. When I started working for a paint company, I did all the training and spent time in the lab with their technicians learning about the chemistry and the manufacturing process. I then started telling my dad about this stuff and he just smiled and said "Son, I've been decorating our house for 40 odd years, paint is paint". Next time he was re-decorating I got him trade paint and he was shocked at just how well it covered and how little he had to use. Now he never uses retail paint.

If all you've used is retail paint, you get accustomed to it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's what you get used to. When I started working for a paint company, I did all the training and spent time in the lab with their technicians learning about the chemistry and the manufacturing process. I then started telling my dad about this stuff and he just smiled and said "Son, I've been decorating our house for 40 odd years, paint is paint". Next time he was re-decorating I got him trade paint and he was shocked at just how well it covered and how little he had to use. Now he never uses retail paint.

If all you've used is retail paint, you get accustomed to it.

Fair comment. After reading this thread I do intend to colour match my wife's chosen shade with a trade paint. My experience with Valspar and F&B is good but I'm always happy to learn and improve.

KneesUp

Guru
I've painted a shop exterior with it - I've done the same exterior previously with Rustoleum Combi Colour, and that took a single coat. Valspar took four coats.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Never used Valspar, tend to stick to Dulux etc. Recently completed painting the pergola in a burgundy berry red colour with el-cheapo exterior gloss from Wilko.
Pleased with the result, thinking of repainting the bench planter the same:

IMG_3183.JPG

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I ended up with Crown Trade matt primer tinted at Bowers to a Valspar shade; £34 for 5 liters.

As mentioned upthread, my walls were filthy with 20 years of nicotine stains and household grime. The first coat didn't do much to cover it (but this could be me over spreading)... the second coat went on perfectly and I've barely used a liter to cover 25 square meters of wall, twice! I will give it a third coat as there's patches I'd missed with the 2nd... but very happy. Thanks for the advice guys. :okay:

edited to add... I used dulux retail paint on the ceiling, only £10 for five liters but it needed six coats and two tubs all in all ... so i guess that shows the difference between trade and retail emulsions.

stephec

Legendary Member
For some reason I read the last bit of the title as, 'for a BBQ.'

What's the matter, are firelighters not combustible for you? :smile:

Top Bottom