Anyone using TRP Spyre? Tell us about it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
TRP HyRd on my Genesis Croix de Fer 20. They work well once the pads are bedded in, but actually put me off buying one of these bikes new because I took it for a test ride and the brakes were shockingly BAD! I later bought a second hand one off this site and after changing pads and running them in, the performance was good. As part of my OCD brake improvement programme, I also decided to bleed them. They were a nightmare to bleed. They don't have a bleed nipple as such, and despite using a proper bleeding kit I was at my wits end doing these. Endless viewing of videos on YouTube helped me to finally do the job properly, but I won't be doing it again unless absolutely necessary. The caliper units are also heavy beasts, so steer clear if you're a weight weenie. Not so much of a problem on an already heavy steel framed Croix de Fer.
To summarise - yes they perform well but in the dry, probably no better than decent rim brakes with quality pads. The advantages, as with other disc brakes, is the lack of wear to wheel rims; bleeding issues apart, they are low maintenance; no black gunge generated in wet weather, and better braking performance in the wet. Disadvantage is the weight.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have hyrd on my Arkose. They are the the mutts nuts IMHO. Much better than cable disc set ups. I bought it 2nd hand so they were already worn in so to speak.

Johnno260

Veteran
I had TRP Spyres fitted to my hybrid and they were a vast improvement over the Avid brakes I had before.

I don’t own the bike anymore but I had none of the maintenance issues I had with the Avids.

I would highly recommend them.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
They are awesomly easy to set up and worked tremendously well in the alps.

Spyres work fine but they don't compare to hydros.

This ^

Spyres are fine once set-up and bedded in, they can feel a bit 'meh' when new. They seem a bit particular about cable routing and housing too.

Mine are sitting redundant at the mo(with some new TRP cables) since being replaced by a SRAM hydro set-up.

I've done 9,000 miles with my Spyres, only needing to change the pads once in that time, and am very happy with them. Easy to adjust and maintain, good braking performance in all conditions, easy on the eye compared to other disc calipers.

I've ridden Promax (crap), BB5 (work well but far too faffy to maintain), BB7 (good on the whole, though not had to change pads yet) and Spyre are definintely the best of the bunch.

No experience with HyRd/proper hydro.

Mine are sitting redundant at the mo(with some new TRP cables)
Are they in good nick? Want to flog them?

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just dropped my Boardman at the LBS to have Spyres fitted to replace the not very good BB5s. Ok, they're ok when adjusted but they need adjusting too often, I can't be bothered and it's cheaper to upgrade to brakes that don't need constant fiddling

Bike should be ready with new brakes tomorrow

I got the calipers for around £80 for the pair from Merlin with Xmas and loyalty discount :smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've just dropped my Boardman at the LBS to have Spyres fitted to replace the not very good BB5s. Ok, they're ok when adjusted but they need adjusting too often, I can't be bothered and it's cheaper to upgrade to brakes that don't need constant fiddling

Bike should be ready with new brakes tomorrow

I got the calipers for around £80 for the pair from Merlin with Xmas and loyalty discount :smile:

Hmm. Similar thoughts on my cargo bike which run BB7s. I’ve tried everything and they squawk and squeal irritatingly. BB7s work perfectly on my tourer so I am at my wits end. The only thing I haven’t done is face the calipre mounts. Not sure that’s the issue.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmm. Similar thoughts on my cargo bike which run BB7s. I’ve tried everything and they squawk and squeal irritatingly. BB7s work perfectly on my tourer so I am at my wits end. The only thing I haven’t done is face the calipre mounts. Not sure that’s the issue.
Don't ask me :laugh: Noise not the issue with the BB5s, more effective stopping

Top Bottom