Anyone using TRP Spyre? Tell us about it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just dropped my Boardman at the LBS to have Spyres fitted to replace the not very good BB5s. Ok, they're ok when adjusted but they need adjusting too often

I'm going to do likewise with my Boardman, for the same reasons - too fiddly and constantly needing adjustment. Will have a crack at fitting them myself though, can't imagine it's that hard.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm surprised to see all the negatives about BB5's - I've got them on my Boardman and haven't had a minutes trouble with them.

Maybe I'm just lucky? :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm going to do likewise with my Boardman, for the same reasons - too fiddly and constantly needing adjustment. Will have a crack at fitting them myself though, can't imagine it's that hard.
Maybe not but bike maintenance isn’t my thing, especially not for something safety critical and that needs correct adjustment. Will get new brake cables and tape at the same time. £50 well spent for me

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Maybe lucky. I just don’t have the skills or patience to keep them adjusted. Ultimately, I have more money than either of those things hence the change

I must be as I've never had to touch them - they're on the hybrid which is (shamefully) my most neglected bike and apart from pumping the tyres up and mickling the chain every now and then it has practically zero maintenance.

Johnno260

Veteran
I had BB5’s on my Boardman and utterly hated them, squeaky bad stopping power.

The Spyres rocked
ADDFFA04-8CF7-494F-9CCC-8DF5E82F2318.jpeg
97591238-62DA-477A-AB3F-95447034313D.jpeg
691C8E3B-31B7-4D8C-8690-E41FAC3B849C.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thinking of changing the calipers on my subway biatch bike, it has tektro novellas that are so loud they can wake the dead, if i take the pads out and reface them they are ok for a couple of days but overall they are lousy .

vickster

Legendary Member
Bike is back. Mechanic said I won't notice a lot of difference in power to the BB5s when they were biting properly and not spongy (as often a few uses after adjustment) but the adjustment, although potentially as frequent, is much simpler, so hopefully I can do myself. New tape looks smart too :smile:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Bike is back. Mechanic said I won't notice a lot of difference in power to the BB5s when they were biting properly and not spongy (as often a few uses after adjustment) but the adjustment, although potentially as frequent, is much simpler, so hopefully I can do myself. New tape looks smart too :smile:
The mechanic is talking nonsense........trp spyres are the best mechanical discs available on the market and are far superior to bb5s

vickster

Legendary Member
I'll be able to judge tomorrow when I ride the bike a bit further, than the mile back from town :smile: When working properly after adjustment, the BB5s stopped well

I didn't find the BB5s much less effective than the Spyres at all, and they were often quieter too tbh. That said I weigh less than 10 stone and it was only the bike with Spyres that I take on serious descents, so my comparison is only based on flat rides. Maybe the difference is more pronounced with a heavier load/down hills.

But the bb5s are just too fiddly. The Spyres only need adjusting very occasionally as the pads wear, and it's a 30sec job to do with an allen key.

The BB5s seemed to have a habit of 'adjusting themselves' constantly.

Johnno260

Veteran
I didn't find the BB5s much less effective than the Spyres at all, and they were often quieter too tbh. That said I weigh less than 10 stone and it was only the bike with Spyres that I take on serious descents, so my comparison is only based on flat rides. Maybe the difference is more pronounced with a heavier load/down hills.

But the bb5s are just too fiddly. The Spyres only need adjusting very occasionally as the pads wear, and it's a 30sec job to do with an allen key.

The BB5s seemed to have a habit of 'adjusting themselves' constantly.

It’s why I dropped the BB’s more time fettling the brakes than anything else.

The guy I sold my Boardman to hasn’t even used it, I’m so tempted to make a cheeky offer and use it as my winter bike.

Top Bottom