Anyone want to learn how to true a wheel? In Norwich.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Bring along your own wheel(s) that require some attention. I will true the wheels and teach you how to do it so that next time you can DIY. PM me for more details. I have twenty years experience of building and truing wheels!

No factory built low spoke count wheels - just traditional 32/36h wheels.

A 'donation' will be required.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Ditto - but in Hampshire.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Download the Wheelpro book if no one close enough to help you. It's more about building wheels, but what you learn from it will stand you in good stead for just trueing

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
tundragumski said:
Bring along your own wheel(s) that require some attention. I will true the wheels and teach you how to do it so that next time you can DIY. PM me for more details. I have twenty years experience of building and truing wheels!

No factory built low spoke count wheels - just traditional 32/36h wheels.

A 'donation' will be required.

I may very well take you up on this offer at some time in the future. Just need to get one out of true first :tongue:

AyrshireBacon

I may be interested in this some time soon. I have a set of 27 x 1 1/4" 36h wheels and want to replace the hubs for use on the fixed. I think I can do the basic 3x lacing (I have a built wheel to base it on). Can you recomend somewhere to buy spokes?

A bit bigger job than trueing, but would you be up for it anyway? How much of a donation are we talking of as I have the Scottish disease of short arms and deep pockets ;)

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
AyrshireBacon, are you saying that you want to use your existing rims to build a pair of fixed wheels?

Are the rims decent quality?

The problem you will have is buying the correct length spokes first time of trying. I have used many spoke length calculators including DT swiss and they very rarely get it right - this means buying another set of spokes and rebuilding the wheel again - very annoying.

Although I've done this many times for myself I'm not prepared to offer this service as it would consume lots of my time and wouldn't be cost effective for you either.

I'm really interested in teaching people how to true wheels so that they are competent enough to do it themselves in the future.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Can't say I've ever had a problem with spoke length.... The measuring method in the wheelpro book is pretty foolproof - and the calculator on their site is nice & straightforward (and gives near enough identical results to the DT Swiss one) Believe me I'm not claiming any special powers here... I once carefully measured up a rim that I wanted to re-use, hub like-wise, ordered spokes, set to lacing it and found that although the hub was 36H as I thought the rim was 32H..... DOH!!!!
So knowing I'm perfectly capable of monumental cock-ups I do tend to build on double-eyeletted rims, they will happily accept spokes that are couple of mm too long !

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I guess it depends how fussy you are - I like the end of the spoke to come within 0.5mm of the end if the spoke nipple - no more and no less!

Top Bottom