Anyone watch "Top Gear"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Rowan Atkinson was great and very funny

not too keen on the challenges (the races across continents are great)

i'll watch it but sometimes it is crap

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've watched it since the days of William Wollard, Chris Goffey, and even Noel Edmonds and as a lifelong car lover I always watch.

That said, I do think JC can be proper cock at times, and Hammond always seems to try too hard, like the proverbial little kid at school trying to stay on the good side of the older big kids. That's my analogy anyway.

Generally very enjoyable, I just wish they'd curb their antics at times and remember that as BBC employees they are paid by the licence payer.

I think Top Gear is sold enough around the world to make more money for the Beeb than it costs, or so I've heard.

And Hammond being like a big kid is all part of the attraction, just as is May being the sensible one, and Clarkson being a prat. It's a perfectly balanced triple act.

I like the antics - far more interesting than the fast car stuff, for me.

Bigsharn

Veteran
... and Hammond always seems to try too hard, like the proverbial little kid at school trying to stay on the good side of the older big kids. That's my analogy anyway.

And Hammond being like a big kid is all part of the attraction, just as is May being the sensible one, and Clarkson being a prat. It's a perfectly balanced triple act.

This was proved furthermore on Sunday's episode, when they're talking about cardboard boxes on the news... I think its very much an act as opposed to their *actual* traits

Evil Rabbit

Guilty pleasure....
whistling.gif

Arch

Married to Night Train
This was proved furthermore on Sunday's episode, when they're talking about cardboard boxes on the news... I think its very much an act as opposed to their *actual* traits

I dunno, I think Hammond is just the sort of fun person who would play with cardboard boxes...

They are of course, acting up. Clarkson has done some good documentary stuff on WW2, IIRC. His Top Gear persona is probably a bit him, and lot of playing up to his role within the trio.

Arch

Married to Night Train
But I reckon the stand out moment was still May's "Of course, they aren't real helicopters..."

That was good. :biggrin:

I've no doubt about that, but he just gets on my tuppenny bits when he starts getting giddy like he does.

James May I think lays his part genially. He can steal the show with one line, just as he did with the helicopter line as mentioned.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No - it's gone down hill a lot since then GW.

Now it's nothing about cars - just a few "hilarious" presenters doing boring, dodgy, managed stunts for the US 1.1 Australia
1.2 Belgium
1.3 Bulgaria
1.4 Canada
1.5 Czech Republic
1.6 Denmark
1.7 Estonia
1.8 Finland
1.9 Germany
1.10 Greece
1.11 Hong Kong
1.12 Hungary
1.13 Iceland
1.14 India
1.15 Ireland
1.16 Israel
1.17 Italy
1.18 Japan
1.19 Malaysia
1.20 Latvia
1.21 Lithuania
1.22 Mexico
1.23 Netherlands
1.24 New Zealand
1.25 North America
1.26 Norway
1.27 Poland
1.28 Portugal
1.29 Romania
1.30 Russia
1.31 Slovenia
1.32 Serbia
1.33 South Africa
1.34 Spain
1.35 Sweden
1.36 The Middle East
1.37 United Kingdom
markets.

Fixed that for you. :thumbsup:

mangaman

[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1311031164' post='1757164']
markets.

Fixed that for you. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Thanks for pointing out it's aim - to appeal to that many countries, makes it even more a successful attempt at bland global TV.

To have that range of appeal it has to be homogenous - a bit like (eg) McDonalds or Coke.

It seems to me to me to be the TV equivalent of these - tasteless and lacking any content.

Top Bottom