Anyone Who Watched the Giro Yesterday Still Think Helmets Don't Do Their Job!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Finally, an explanation for the people I see cycling along carrying helmets. Some are also protecting their right hand grip, which seems sensible, I've damaged the end of the grips in quite a large percentage of my offs.

Blimey, how many off's have you had?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So they can get bits of plastic embedded in their chins?

Yup.

Tin Pot

Guru
If only it were safety rated:

azdm000428__44018.1410059784.1280.1280.JPG

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Blimey, how many off's have you had?

Not that many, bearing in mind 3 is a large percentage of 4.

So they can get bits of plastic embedded in their chins?
Wow these anti helmet brigade find fault in everything, next they'll worry about them catching fire from the friction ;-)

Seriously, the chin guard is designed to shear at the bolts so in a big face first off it'll flex and then snap taking the initial force, in a slide down the road type off it's more likely to grind. Of course it may snag and kill me, if so I'll be sure to mention it.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
FFS, how many more times. Not anti-helmet. You want to wear a silly useless bit of plastic, feel free. Just don't keep on at me if I don't join you. And don't make spurious claims about effectiveness.
So glad I bothered to put the smiley on, but I guess some people are just over sensitive. I'll be sure and make it bigger next time, providing I can still type after my quick release buckle takes my finger off (I hear that's common).

Licramite

Über Member
IIRC there was a campaign against this with motorcyclists

The number of fractured humerus incidents caused by the "leverage" of the helmet in even slow crashes was cause for concern

The Humerus? - what he was wearing it on his elbow or his shoulder?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
They don't rate helmets for speed
Yes, "they" do rate them for speed, and this information is easy enough to find. Here's a few samples:
Finally, this Australian article sums up why we shouldn't be compelled to wear bicycle helmets and should be allowed to choose for ourselves:
https://ipa.org.au/publications/2019/australia's-helmet-law-disaster

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Yes, "they" do rate them for speed, and this information is easy enough to find. Here's a few samples:
Finally, this Australian article sums up why we shouldn't be compelled to wear bicycle helmets and should be allowed to choose for ourselves:
https://ipa.org.au/publications/2019/australia's-helmet-law-disaster
My point was in reply to another post which suggested that there is no fully effective way to look at any helmet of choice and see what speed they are suitable for. I had a good look online and came to the same conclusion. It's simply not possible to pick a helmet suitable for protection at a chosen speed range as this is not freely available info when searching for a helmet. Your links prove this too, as they are inconclusive. Again, mostly Australian links, where it is clear that they are not happy with the compulsory law. Easy picking to quote from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom