Anything, but a Brooks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

watchiekong

Hello to all,
My wife is thinking of getting a leather saddle for her Bobbin dutch bike, but has been put off from getting a Brooks (B67?) saddle as it will probably get nicked in London. She doesnt really want to keep removing and lugging it around with when she leaves the bike locked up in public areas (she has enough stuff to carry around with two hand bags!). What are the brand(s) of leather saddles that opportunist theives wont look at or consider stealing? In fact what are the best tips to reduce saddle theft? She's even willing to consider ripping off the Brooks logo if that would mean thieves would pass on her saddle or even buying an older worn in vintage saddle. In other words which leather saddles are harder to sell on by thieves?
Thanks for your response in advance.

PS: my wife's bike is shocking pink so the odds of them stealing the whole bike would probably be reduced (methinks!).

Globalti

Legendary Member
People steal Brooks saddles? Why?

I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent this. Best to get a plastic no-name saddle. Anyway, leather saddles stretch when they get wet.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They're desirable, comfortable and have a high resale value. And they don't stretch if you treat them well.

I'm in two minds - London bike security seems to be improved these days, and yet Mrs W had a Brooks pinched from the platforms at Marylebone. You need an Allen key to remove a saddle, so I'd be inclined to go for a small cable for security and a carrier bag over the saddle for disguise.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'd agree with those who say take preventative measures like a small lock chain for the sadddle and a disguise like a bag. Unfortunately if the saddle is desirable to you it may be desirable to a theif, Brooks or otherwise.

Herbie

Veteran
They're desirable, comfortable and have a high resale value. And they don't stretch if you treat them well.

I'm in two minds - London bike security seems to be improved these days, and yet Mrs W had a Brooks pinched from the platforms at Marylebone. You need an Allen key to remove a saddle, so I'd be inclinedkryptonite to go for a small cable for security and a carrier bag over the saddle for disguise.

thas what i do....kryptonite cable locked to the frame and a plastic bag cover.

sidevalve

Über Member
Try looking on E Bay there are a few indian /far eastern brands about at the mo. Not sure if they are as good or if they will last any longer - most thieves would steal a dog turd if it looked pretty. You could try on of the alarm padlocks on sale now with a wire loop around the frame, not much good as locks but they draw attention to the casual thief and may work.

Manonabike

Über Member
I do this on my SS that has a Brooks Team Pro. Once I was sure of the settings and that I did not want to move it then I superglued a small ball bearing inside the bolt's head that clamps the seatpost. That would prevent thieves using an Alan key to remove the seatpost and saddle. In addition you can fit a length of old bicycle chain, inside a piece of inner tube, to secure the saddle to the seat stays. I wouldn't use a removable link though.
These measures will make stealing the saddle a pain in the backside which hopefully will encourage thieves to move on.

fossala

Guru
I don't like how brooks stopped supplying them. It's not like they came up with the idea of tensioned leather saddles. They where just the only company not to move on to newer technologies.(I do like brooks and my main saddle is a team pro, just saying I don't like their thoughts all the time).

Top Bottom