Apalling actions from an Arriva bus driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Sigh, yes another 'Matthew_T thread'. However, this one takes the biscuit.

I was cycling along and doing a good speed (about 25mph). I caught up to a bus stopped at a set of traffic lights, so started to filter past them. The lights then turned to amber as I was passing the bus so I sped up (from about 15mph) to pass him safely. I then shoulder checked and moved back in and accelerated up to 28mph. Immediately after the traffic lights was a bus stop with a ped signalling, so I figured I didnt cause the bus any problems.
I carried on and was aware of the bus catching me up. The speed limit on this road is 30mph, and the bus was doing more than that. He then came behind and passed me closely at speed with oncoming traffic.
I just tutted to myself and carried on.I then filtered past the bus again at the next set of lights as well as a few other cars infront of him.
However, when the bus came behind me the second time, I pointed to my camera to just let him know his manouvre had been filmed, and when did he do in return? He gave me the finger.

So after this gesture, I decided that his actions were not acceptable and I was going to have just a polite word.

I carried on and caught up to the bus at the main bus station. I approached the drivers window and politely said "Excuse me". The driver turned and said "What?" I notified him that I would be reporting him to the company and he asked me if I wanted a smack.
This really angered me. Not that he threatened me but that he threatened me when he knows he is going to get in trouble for it.

Apparently his initial excuse for overtaking me so close was because I had 'cut him up'. He claimed that I shoulder checked (yes, I did) and pulled out infront of him (no, I didnt).

A few more words were exchanged until I asked another employee if the manager was in the depot today. He said yes and then asked what had happened. I explained that he had overtaken too close and then flipped me off.

Then the original driver, and another driver came up to me and all three of them seemed to believe that if a cycle lane exists, then I legally have to use it and I am not allowed on the roads.

I explained to them that that was rubbish and I am entitled to use any road except an M road.

The second driver then said "Lets go ask them what they think". ('Them' referring to two rail police).
We walked over and had a chat with the two officers. The second driver then mentioned that I should get myself a copy of the highway code. I then remembered that I had a copy of the highway code with me. So I got it out and showed them a picture (the popular one) and rule 163. This kind of shocked the guy who then said that it wasnt true.

I concluded with saying to the second guy that he wasnt the driver and I would be reporting it anyway. I apologised to the two officers who suggested that I go to the depot and report it or go to the police station and get advice from them.

So after this, I headed to the depot. I asked to see the manager and went into a room with him. I explained what had happened and he took a statement. I am taking the video footage in tomorrow.The manager was very nice and took my concerns into account. He said that drivers should not be giving abuse to anyone, no matter what happens.

Just as I was leaving, I saw the driver waiting in the lobby. I havent checked my camera to see if he did anything yet, but I just ignored him and walked out.

Sorry about the length of this thread. And CONSTRUCTIVE critisizm is welcomed.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I carried on and caught up to the bus at the main bus station. I approached the drivers window and politely said "Excuse me". The driver turned and said "What?" I notified him that I would be reporting him to the company and he asked me if I wanted a smack.

It was at this point that you could just have decided to take your video direct to the manager, instead of confronting him. You left him with nowhere to go by saying you were going to report him. If you had started off by asking him why he gave you the finger, and then tried to explain, you might have avoided the remaining confrontation. On the other hand, he could still have been an obnoxious t**t, but you would have stood a slightly better chance of perhaps educating him.

This is only a very minor criticism.

The second driver then mentioned that I should get myself a copy of the highway code. I then remembered that I had a copy of the highway code with me. So I got it out and showed them a picture (the popular one) and rule 163.
:laugh:

... The second driver then mentioned that I should get myself a copy of the highway code. I then remembered that I had a copy of the highway code with me. So I got it out and showed them a picture (the popular one) and rule 163. This kind of shocked the guy

... who then said that it wasnt true.

Scruffy layabout student - 1, professional driver - 0 :laugh:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Matthew, unless your life has been in 'real' danger just let things go. You've had more aggro in six months than I've had 36 years of cycling on the road. This isn't a dig at you, shoot happens chill a bit or take up downhilling or xc where there's no traffic!

Leodis

Veteran
The second driver then said "Lets go ask them what they think". ('Them' referring to two rail police).
We walked over and had a chat with the two officers. The second driver then mentioned that I should get myself a copy of the highway code. I then remembered that I had a copy of the highway code with me. So I got it out and showed them a picture (the popular one) and rule 163. This kind of shocked the guy who then said that it wasnt true.

:laugh::laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I applaud Matthew for having the courage of his convictions and reporting matters like this. If we all did it, then we would get treated with a lot more respect by drivers. The reason they treat us like something on the sole of their shoe is because they believe that there will be no repercussions for it.

In this particular case (unlike SOME previous episodes ;)) I do believe Matthew has a genuine cause for grievance. I love the bit about producing the Highway Code book :laugh:. If I had been in a similar situation, I would probably have let it go, but that is only because I don't like confrontation. It is people like me who make it too easy for these morons; so good on ye this time Matthew!

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
And good for you Matt, that was unacceptable driving.
The overtake wasnt the problem. It was him giving me the finger and saying that he was going to smack me that really caused me to complain.

Fair play the depot manager, he was concerned and said that the driver shouldnt have done anything.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
[QUOTE 2611989, member: 30090"]Hmm, sounds to me like you were caught out filtering?

[/quote]
Believe me, it was not that type of situation. I passed him and knew he would have to stop just ahead. I didnt cut infront of him at all. I was making reasonable progress.

PK99

Legendary Member
Sigh, yes another 'Matthew_T thread'. However, this one takes the biscuit.

I was cycling along and doing a good speed (about 25mph). I caught up to a bus stopped at a set of traffic lights, so started to filter past them. .

Cyclecraft, page 85, Traffic signals:

(emphasis from the book)

Never pass a bus or long vehicle in the same lane near the head of a signal queue

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Cyclecraft, page 85, Traffic signals:

(emphasis from the book)

Never pass a bus or long vehicle in the same lane near the head of a signal queue
Why? The bus was slow to move off and I had a good speed when passing him. I judged the manouvre well and would have aborted it or apologised if I had thought it was a silly thing to do.
The footage will add clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom